Which goto mount?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SPO

SPO

Vostok 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

I have an 8" f5 reflector on an eq mount and am looking to get a GOTO mount for it. Possibly a used CG5 or LXD55.

I mostly binoview and there are trees in my yard that block Polaris where I usually set up so I can only do a rough polar alignment.

I have been wondering if an alt/az GOTO would be better for binoviewing?

Any recommendations?

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

Add an Atlas or the Ioptron mounts to your list of candidates. An 8" f/5 scope with accessories should be mounted on a mount with at least a 40lb capacity, a it more if you intend to do any imaging. I was albe to use mine on a 30lb rated mount (Orion's Sirius) but gave up because it just wasn't stable enough for imaging.

Phil

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Don't even consider an LXD55. Very old and not very good technology. Nor would I recommend an LXD75 since they have been discontinued. Consider the Celestron and Orion mounts and keep in mind that the Celestron mounts have alignment procedures that do not require that you be able to see Polaris.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Don't even consider an LXD55. Very old and not very good technology. Nor would I recommend an LXD75 since they have been discontinued. Consider the Celestron and Orion mounts and keep in mind that the Celestron mounts have alignment procedures that do not require that you be able to see Polaris.

And so do the Orions (in the current beta firmware release)...

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

The usual suspects would be the CGEM, Atlas, and IEQ45 and their variants. That would include the IEQ45m, CGEM DX ect.. All are worthy contenders with strengths and weaknesses. There is the Meade LX80 also, but it does not seem to ready for prime time yet, so I would avoid it at the moment.

#6 Peter D.

Peter D.

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central New York

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Interesting that the CGEM, Atlas, and iEQ45 are very much favored here (for good reason; they're great mid-range mounts) and the LXD's have been panned but nobody has commented on the CG5, which while not quite in the same league costs HALF the price. The CG5 is probably the most popular entry-level mount due to its modest cost, good 35 lb payload capacity, generally excellent goto accuracy, and fairly decent tracking. I have a CG5 and I find that while it's not so great for AP unguided, its not too bad with guiding. That's what makes it a great entry-level mount, especially if you keep the payload below 25 lbs. If the CGEM, Atlas, iEQ45 options are straining your budget, go for the CG5 and upgrade later once you're sure you're serious and have saved some money (CG5's sell quickly, and if you buy a used one you can sell it for what you paid).

The CG5 has an advantage over the rest; it's quite light, which means you'll carry it out more often: completely assembled with a small payload, tripod, and counterweights it's still lighter than an Atlas head alone! I've loaded mine at its rated 35 lb payload (at over 80 lbs total carrying a 1000mm fl SN10, cameras, guidescope, counterweights and tripod), and tracking was tolerable until the wind picked up (but I have work to do on my focus). Great results with a 300mm f/4 Takumar camera lens unguided 20 sec! If I upgrade it will be to an iEQ45; I like the light weight and reportedly good tracking.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have an 8" f5 reflector on an eq mount and am looking to get a GOTO mount for it. Possibly a used CG5 or LXD55.

I mostly binoview and there are trees in my yard that block Polaris where I usually set up so I can only do a rough polar alignment.

I have been wondering if an alt/az GOTO would be better for binoviewing?

Any recommendations?

Shawn,

The new Meade LX80 looks good for AltAz. There are some problems to resolve but mostly for AP in Polar mode.

#8 SPO

SPO

Vostok 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thank you everyone.

I have some thinking and saving up to do.

If I go for a used/less expensive mount I'll probably go with a CG5. If I go new probably an LX80 or Ioptron.

#9 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thank you everyone.

I have some thinking and saving up to do.

If I go for a used/less expensive mount I'll probably go with a CG5. If I go new probably an LX80 or Ioptron.

I bought a USD CG5 STGT while waiting on an LX80 to be deliverd and like it a lot. Shure you'll be happy with either.

#10 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Shawn ,
A different option might be a used Losmandy G8 or G11. Both are very rugged, have good capacity, simple in design, easy to maintain or repair, and are either push-to or Goto. A G8 IIRC will carry 30# visual 15# AP, the G11 will carry 60# visual & 30# AP. My G11 is a '92 & I'm it's 3rd & probably it's last owner.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#11 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

The CG5 is probably the most popular entry-level mount due to its modest cost, good 35 lb payload capacity, generally excellent goto accuracy, and fairly decent tracking.

Don't take that 35# capacity to the bank. IF the CG-5 was the mechanical equal of the Vixen GP=D2 (and it's not) it would be properly rated at 20-22 pounds payload. Less if the scope has any length to it. The CGEM is rated at 40# and deals with 25# pretty well and will do visual with the C11. The head weighs about 40# compared to the CG-5's 15#.

Granted a used $100 CG-5 with slow-mos is the best mount for the dollar on the planet. But for what it does, a used $800-1000 is more than twice the mount a $450 ASGT-CG-5 is.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics