Stonehearth Observatory started

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

• Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

It has finally started and I can't be more pleased. I figure the best time to build an observatory is when you are building a house. It's very convenient to time the construction with that of the house. Today they poured the footers for the back deck so why not ask them to pour the pier base at the same time. I am not a handyman so this works out great for me.

I am planning a 8 x 10 ROR for photographic use only. The 10' length will be parallel to the rock wall. The roof will roll towards the wall. The pier is 3 feet deep and 20" x 20" I live in the Pacific Northwest and am not to concerned with frost. I have been looking at a lot of plans online and am going to build this on the fly. I know it's not ideal but I have a contractor to depend on. Here are my first pics. I plan to attach a round 9" x 3/4" and 3 feet tall to the base.

Attached Files

#2 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Pic #2

Attached Files

#3 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

:jump:Up goes another one.. Congrats Steve. Post a lot of pics

#4 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Pier looks good. Off to a great start.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Congratulations on the beginning of your observatory! Looks like a beautiful area you live in!

I love the name, also. :)

#6 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

I just finished the pier. All I have to do is put some paint on it and it should be good to go.

Attached Files

#7 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

A little more progress to report. The pier is painted and the Cat6 and power line has been extended from the house.

Attached Files

#8 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Finally got the floor done. 8' x 10' Used 2x6 and 3/4" plywood. Seems pretty sturdy. I'll look for a door and window this week and hopefully start framing next weekend. The siding guys are working on the house so hopefully I can get them to do the observatory.

Attached Files

#9 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

This is my veiw from the warmroom in the house.

Attached Files

#10 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I found that the pier was to low because of the height of the floor. I didn't want to lower the floor so I extended the bolts and added some more concrete. The pier heigh is now 42" above the floor.

Attached Files

#11 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

The weather here has just been beautiful so I used the great weather and complete the walls. They are 5'10" which seems to work out perfect for my pier and telescope height. Since the siding is going up on my house I am going to get the workers to put hardiplank and trim up.

Attached Files

#12 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

One more.

Attached Files

#13 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Put in about 10 hours of construction today. I just need to decide on the type of roof. I am leaning towards a PVC UV blocking roof vice a metal roof. Just trying to figure out if I need some type of insulation to prevent dew from forming on the inside. I live in the Pacific NW. Siding should be one soon.

Attached Files

#14 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Put in about 10 hours of construction today. I just need to decide on the type of roof. I am leaning towards a PVC UV blocking roof vice a metal roof. Just trying to figure out if I need some type of insulation to prevent dew from forming on the inside. I live in the Pacific NW. Siding should be one soon.

Congrats on your new OB. Not to make you feel compelled..but I have not had any condensation issues with my roof at all..and it is over 3 years old. My roof pitch is 10/12. I have a shed out in the yard that has this roof material on it and it has been on it for nearly 15 years...with no issues.

Good luck.

Rob

#15 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

I have come to the decision of putting roofing paper down and to cover it with white PVC roofing. I am going to put some styrofoam insulation under the felt paper in between the purlins to keep the heat out and because I would rather have a white ceiling anyway. Anyone see issues with this proposal? Thanks again.

#16 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have come to the decision of putting roofing paper down and to cover it with white PVC roofing. I am going to put some styrofoam insulation under the felt paper in between the purlins to keep the heat out and because I would rather have a white ceiling anyway. Anyone see issues with this proposal? Thanks again.

I have a metal roof on black roofing paper. I decided to put a layer of sheet styrofoam on the inside and it makes a real difference with overheating on sunny days. No issues whatsoever.
...Keith

#17 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

I decided to use smoked polycarbonate on the roof so that if I am working in the obs during the day rain or shine it will have natural light. I am going to put styrofoam board in between the truss to provide some insulation. A handle will be put on one piece of board so I can simply remove it to let light in acting like a skylight. I will have pictures soon.

#18 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

It has finally started and I can't be more pleased. I figure the best time to build an observatory is when you are building a house. It's very convenient to time the construction with that of the house. Today they poured the footers for the back deck so why not ask them to pour the pier base at the same time. I am not a handyman so this works out great for me.

Exactly my thoughts. Except I used a four season porch as a parallel project. Something for me, and something for her :-)

#19 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

Steve,
That's a really nice idea, using your existing retaining wall to support your roof! Very stable, and almost hides the 'rolling roof' look.
Russ

#20 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Unfortunately I had to cut the rails shorter and they are no longer on the retaining wall. The wall is to tall and the rails weren't level.

#21 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Finally got the roof on the observatory. I decided to go with a smoked polycarbonate roof. Having the light come in during the day makes if more enjoyable if I want to get away from the house and do some work. If required I will add some styrofoam panels under the roof in between the purlins to keep the heat out during the summer. The main reason I picked this kind of roof is to let light in during the day and it is lightweight. I didn't want to add to much weight so that it wouldn't require to much effort to open the roof. Still need to add the trim and paint. Should look a lot better when the backyard is landscaped.

Attached Files

#22 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Closed.

Attached Files

#23 JoeT6571

JoeT6571

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Great looking observatory. Congratulations. Keep the pictures coming.

#24 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Looks awesome :)

#25 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Really nice job.