Photo

Winter is comming...mount coming in or not!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pinecliffe,CO USA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I live at 8200 feet and winters are rough. UV is brutal up here on all things plastic. We don't see sub zero too much but are often at single digit lows for months at a time. I have a new CGE PRO and would love to leave the mount where it is, outside. I have a telagizmos 365 cover. Is this enought? Whats your experience?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Not in my opinion. If this is out in the open, I would not even consider leaving it out in these conditions for months with just a cover on it. Bring it in. ;)

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I live in SD, and my CGEM spent much of the winter outside. Mind you we don't get the snow; it's mostly dry during the winter. But, it didn't have any issues with the cold.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yep...my worry would be more humidity/moisture than cold.

#5 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• Loc: Norway

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

You guys worry too much! My EQ6 mount has been outside all year long for close to 4 years now - and it still works as well as the day I got it! It used to sit under a normal tarp but that rotted away last year :p so now I use a Telagizmos 365 cover. Yes there will be some rust on the screws but mounts are rugged things. So unless you have "China glue" in it or are worried about resale value, I say leave it outside ;)

#6 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

• Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have to agree with Chris. Leave the mount outside. Just make sure the mount doesn't get in any direct contact with the elements. A mount should be used and if you bring it in, I guarantee you will not use it that much if you have to bring out to setup. I would rather use a mount until if falls apart then worry about protecting it and not using it atf all.

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

My hypertuned CGEM has been outside since spring of 2010, no weather related issues. It's under a telegizmo 365 and I have a large lightbulb and a remote temp/humidity monitor under there too. when the humidity gets high or is going high I turn on the light till it drops.

Attached Files

#8 aaube

aaube

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm also an happy Telegizmo 365 user. Mounts & ota's remain outdoors year round. A dummy jack is inserted
in every ports (hc, aux, guiding, ect) as an added protection and 7 watts Dryrods are used to control humidity.

Since the Dryrods are tied at the eyepiece tray level, vaseline is applied with a small paintbrush over the legs bolts under that level once in a while.

Sincerely,

Alain

Attached Files

#9 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

A couple years ago, we left both telescopes out on the back deck, fully assembled, under covers. They got used a LOT, and weathered a few months of west coast rain / wind with no ill effects. Then for some reason, they came back inside. After that, work / life schedules got very busy, and, it became a case of 'I dont have the energy to set it all up today' when we had some clear time, so, stuff didn't get used. We went a whole year, never set them up once.

We have some new to us gear arriving later in the month, and once it's here, it's going out on the deck under the 365 covers. What's the point of having it, if we never use it ?

In the past, we never did anything about moisture inside the covers, and didn't seem to suffer any problems because of it, but with the new stuff, I'm going to do something in that regard, not sure what yet. I like a couple of the ideas mentioned in this thread, and have been wondering if just turning on the dew straps would be enough to help keep things dry inside the cover.

For those of you monitoring such things, I'm curious what you are using for remote temp/humidity monitors.

#10 StarWrangler

StarWrangler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

This is what I did for my old C8

Alan O.

Attached Files

#11 StarWrangler

StarWrangler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Alan O's mini OBServatory

No it is not a Bird House!!

Alan O

#12 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pinecliffe,CO USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sounds as though leaving the mount setup outside with a 365 covering it and perhaps a tarp and light bulb on, would be reasonable. There is now way I am leaving the OTA out over the winter. Although we are not sub zero too much we may end up with a 7 foot dump of snow from one storm and we can have 40-50mph winds daily, for a month at a time.

#13 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

I wish I could do the 365 cover thing myself... alas with an altitude of 8ft I would not just be looking at damp and humid but salt-laden air and potentially direct salt spray in a storm. :(

Alan's practice of using dummy plugs in all ports is an excellent one though. Keeping those contacts from corroding over time will certainly help avoid future electrical quirks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics