Celestron CG5 ASGT hard case

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GKMK

GKMK

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I need a hard case to carry the CG5 mount (without tripod). I dont want to disassemble the head and the counter weight shaft. I have seen JMI hard case for $219. I dont want to spend that much. Some people have reported using a plano 4 pistol case. But this case may need disassembly of the mount head and the counter weights. I also checked Harbor Freight cases, but again all are too small and need dis-assembly.
I want to find out from fellow members what is the mode of transport for CG5.
I am strongly thinking about using a medium hardside luggage case for storing CG5. The dimensions of the mount + counter weight are approximately 19"x13"x6", And I think a 20" hardside luggage should do its job. What do you guys think?

#2 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

I went cheap route. I went to Wal-Mart or Target and bought a storage bin that would hold the original foam that was in the box the mount came in. It holds the mount, hand controller, cables, leg spreader and counter weight shaft. My mount has been in there for about six years now

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Same here. I got one at Wally-World big enough for both the mount head and the C8 OTA. Layer of foam from their craft department, C8 on top of that, layer of foam on top of the C8, CG5 mount head on top of that, top snapped on and away we go. Been great for six years for me, too. :cool:

I do remove the counterweight. I don't think it's a good idea to transport the mount with them on, and I for sure don't want to lift it with them on. Tripod spreader goes with the tripod. I've thought about getting a bag of some kind for it, but have never got 'round to it.

#4 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'm one who uses the Plano 4-pistol cases for my CG-5 and yes, it does require removing the counterweight shaft. To keep the mount in one piece I'd also follow Bruce's and Rod's recommendations for something like a larger Rubbermaid container and add foam lining.

As for disassembly, I find myself agreeing with both you and Rod on the counterweight. Like Rod I don't like the idea of transporting it installed as that can put strain on the mount head or counterweight shaft. But I also worry that repeated installation/removal of the harder steel bar will wear down the softer aluminum threads in the mount head. If you can figure a way to let it lay flat and supported so as not to put strain on the shaft, mount head or junction, then you should be okay. Even then, I'd suggest removing the counterweights from the shaft.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

I should have been more specific. I remove the weights but not the bar. It was easy to find a Rubbermaid (like) container big enough to accomodate the head with the bar in place.

#6 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ah, then I'm in complete agreement with you Rod.

#7 GKMK

GKMK

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm one who uses the Plano 4-pistol cases for my CG-5 and yes, it does require removing the counterweight shaft.

Is the pistol case requires heavy effort to carry? I am also thinking it would be a good idea to remove the counter weights.

#8 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not really, they're really easy to carry for me. But if I had it to do again, I'd use one of the black Rubbermaid boxes. The only reasons I went with the Plano cases are that they were cheaper at the time I bought them, and the fact they take up just a bit less storage space in my current house, which is an issue.

#9 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have been using something similar to the "medium hardside luggable" in the original post. I have a bit of old luggage that is just big enough inside to fix the original box padding. This one was rescued from being thrown out due to missing zipper pulls and the front zipper being entirely missing so it is a bit ugly, but is certainly easier to move the mount about then the long disintegrated box or piece-by-piece.

I slip the counterweight and spreader bar in the outside pocket (can not be zipped closed) and then everything else except the tripod legs fit inside.

Attached Files

#10 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Very nice did you cut that foam or are you reusing some of the original packing?

#11 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Just re-using the original packaging. Does not really fit all THAT well with the mount set to my actual latitude, but works well enough!

#12 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Falcon...

Excellant picture, and very good use of existing stuff.
Thanks for the idea.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics