• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KDizzle

KDizzle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

I can find nothing in the paramount manual about this comment on the website: 'Both the right ascension and declination axes have a simple three position mechanical "switch" to engage the worm during normal operation, disengage the worm from the gear when balancing the payload, or lock the axis during transit'

Does this mean that the worm should be engaged during transit so much so that there is no give whatsoever? Or does this mean something else?

--

More specifically, in my case I'm rolling the mount in and out of the garage. The surface it rolls over is exposed aggregate and is not the smoothest of surfaces. I do hear some clanking when rolling across this surface and I suspect it is unhealthy for either springs or worm gears that are getting smooshed. What is the recommended practice for this type of movement?

#2 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is that the mx? The ME either has the worm engaged or not, no lock unless it's recent. The worm should be disengaged for shipping ect.

#3 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I just saw the second part of your post. Having the worm disengaged with a scope and weights mounted would be a problem too, unless you can secure it with rope or something??

#4 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

i would lock the ra and dec when moving around.

joe

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

There is no generic "Paramount" manual for all Paramount mounts. There are four different mounts called "Paramount": GT-1100, GT-1100S, ME and MX along with a separate manual for each of them. It would be "nice" if the ME and MX manuals were eventually combined though. Only the Paramount MX has a lock knob. The Paramount ME does not have a lock knob. It has a knob on each axis to engage or disengage the worm. During shipping both should be disengaged. The Paramount MX has a multi-position knob on each axis, one position of which is lock. During shipping both should be in the lock position. You also need to ensure the lock engages the gear. It only does so in certain positions, not all positions. So you'll need to wiggle the axis a bit to make the lock fully seat into the gear (like steel fingers engaging, maybe bad anology).

#6 KDizzle

KDizzle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Alrighty. In the case of a bumping move about 20 feet, it seems outrageously dangerous to disengage the worm with 100 lb of counterweight and 100 lb of equipment sitting on it. The rope idea might be something I could do but otherwise it seems untenable. I was thinking even to maybe buy some plywood and roll it out on that since it would be a substantially smoother surface. Any other thoughts?

#7 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Alrighty. In the case of a bumping move about 20 feet, it seems outrageously dangerous to disengage the worm with 100 lb of counterweight and 100 lb of equipment sitting on it. The rope idea might be something I could do but otherwise it seems untenable. I was thinking even to maybe buy some plywood and roll it out on that since it would be a substantially smoother surface. Any other thoughts?

instead of plywood, what about masonite? smoother surface, won't curl up like plywood, and probably a bit less expensive...and a little easier to pick up.

#8 KDizzle

KDizzle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hmm, I wonder if it would be strong enough though? TBH, right now I roll out a bit of very flat carpet to help dampen the bumpiness but it is not good enough. I'll head over to the hardware store and see what all they have. I tried looking for some of that hard plastic stuff people roll chairs around on, but I can't find a big enough sheet anywhere.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics