Photo

Are classic telescope prices appreciating?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

The Tasco 10TE is one of the coolest looking Classics!
I had two, gave the better one away but kept the older serial number scope. I love the looks, white tube with the Unitron look! Royal Astro Pedigree.

The 15TEA, is the same as the 10Te except for Pedistal, drive, 2nd finder scope. I bought it off the Amart auction for around a $1,000. It is on it's pedistal in my living room and I admire it every day.

Mark

#27 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ebay... do not determine what the top price is you are willing to pay for the scope. Rather, determine what is the price you can walk away from the sale with no regrets. That gets rid of the "what ifs" and doubts...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#28 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Out of curiosity, how or what do members of this great forum use to determine the price when selling one of their classics?

#29 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Out of curiosity, how or what do members of this great forum use to determine the price when selling one of their classics?

I search Astromart and this site for examples of previous sales and asking prices.

#30 omahaastro

omahaastro

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

In the early part of the century, I got an email from a stranger asking, "Are you selling your Cave on eBay?", and included a link to a listing. I was shocked to discover that someone had lifted the description/photos of my 8" Cave off of a blog I had, verbatim, and created a fake listing on eBay (the fellow who emailed, obviously finding my blog by googling the description). What was even more shocking, there was only an hour left, and it was going for $1200!! The seller was purportedly from the UK. At the time, I couldn't even figure out how to contact eBay to tell them that the listing was fraudulent, and the auction ended. I have no idea whether the buyer lost $1200 or not. At any rate, given the price it had fetched, in the case of Cave telescopes, I can most definitely say, that these telescopes have appreciated in value (I spent $400 to buy it, second hand, in 1980).

#31 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hi Larry,

I haven't sold anything yet but when and if I do I have a simple formula for determining a selling price...

My cost (excluding my initial shipping and packing charges) X 0.60

Pride of ownership has had lots of value you know :lol:

#32 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Gawd! I can't imagine a Monolux #4380 going for $1450!!! I got mine this past summer at A local Goodwill in Cincinnati for 75 bucks! It's a beautiful scope, great optics, completely complete down to the sun and moon filter. The scope was filthy and the box scuffed to hell on the outside, but after a day's work completely disassembling and cleaning everything including the objective, it looks great. Only a couple of very minor/tiny nicks on the tube that I touched up with white out :) I still need to refinish the wooden box. Gee, maybe I can get 1400 for it too, *BLEEP*! NOT! I did think the 75 bucks a very good deal however :)
Oh yeah, I did have to get a dust cap for it.

#33 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

See I knew it!... I overpaid again! My Monolux 4380 was $89 at ShopGoodwill! Sheesh... $75! :lol:

The Monolux mentioned at the start of this thread, I'm quite sure, never sold for $1450 or even $150. It is interesting though that some sellers are thinking any 1960's telescope is antique and therefore worth a bundle no matter the condition because the stuff is somewhat old, and they just bought it at an estate auction, and of course they ain't stupid, and they know there is some kinda profit to be had or they wouldn't have bought it :lol:

Sorry for the bad sentence structure, if there even is any, I was on a roll!

No slam to the Monolux 4380, HOC optics. Certainly one of, if not my favorite, telescope in the 60 X 910 catagory.

#34 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Mine came with a dust cap :roflmao:

#35 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Now you've gone and piqued my interest. No plans just curious that's all. :question: Mike :whistle:

Attached Files

#36 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'd go $1450 and you can keep the dust cap! :lol:

#37 JonH

JonH

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I wonder if price changes for scopes are like real estate values. Some areas move quickly whilst others stay stagnant. Looking at historical prices on Astromart the cost of just about any unitron scope has climbed a fair bit over the last five years whereas some of the other classics seem to be staying put.

#38 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I rarely sell anything.. I buy cheap and if and when I am finished, I pass it on to someone who can make better use of it than I.

As far as Ebay and CL prices, I don't bother with EBay so I can't comment but I do watch CL closely. Asking prices are not selling prices. I see people asking double new prices for scopes in current production.

Jon

#39 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

IMO, "classic" scope prices are limited by the cost of similar new scopes. OK, Unitrons are going up, but they'll never reach the cost of an equivalent AP or Televue. Classic scopes are a niche market, just like any antique. The fact that some people are now realizing that some of these are worth more than the $25 they bought them for at a flea market or garage sale doesn't exactly mean that their prices are skyrocketing...just that people are more aware of things.

What's depressing is to compare the new prices of these old scopes, especially the better ones like Caves, etc, with what their prices would be in today's dollars/currencies, and then compare what a new equivalent would cost.

For example, my Vega sold for about $3000 in early 1960s dollars...that was more than a Corvette! Now you can get an 8" MakNewt for less than 10K (but a Corvette is up to $60K), and it's probably a better instrument. Optics manufacturing techniques have greatly improved over the last half century, to the point that things are made not only better, but much more less expensively now.

PS, rereading my post, I intended to contrast what we're calling "classic" with those virtually unobtainable antiques like Brashears and Clarks.

#40 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Great Scope that VEGA.

#41 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Great Scope that VEGA.

Yeah, think I can get $60K for it? ;)

#42 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

That dust cap was the extra 14 bucks. I bought mine for 5 at Agena Astro. Guess you overpaid again :roflmao:

#43 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I share the OP's conflict... I like to see Seller's get a decent return on their Classic. But... I also like to get bargains myself! I recommend vintage scopes to family and friends for their budding star-gazers, rather than new electrified craptaculars that make up today's market, and they usually don't want to spend $$$$ when the child may not be serious about the hobby. Not to pat ourselves on the back (too much!), but CN is better than free beer for a lot of astro-nuts out there, whether buying or selling.

#44 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

but CN is better than free beer for a lot of astro-nuts out there, whether buying or selling.

Hmmm, better than free beer?...not for this astro-nut :lol:

Thanks for picking this thread up. i have recently been seeing some great vintage telescope kits going for surprisingly low prices... Recent= Tasco 10-TEA on a pier, Unitron 4" alt/az, SPI 60mm f/20. Are we in a sale-a-thon with classic collectors just pruning their landscape at their cost or folks taking a loss for buying into a bubble market.

My last beautiful Nippon Kogaku 6.5 was purchased for just 1/2 of what I paid for the second to last NK that I purchased two years earlier.. In fact this last NK 65 was less expensive than the first one that I bought in 2008. I still haven't figured out if this is a good thing or not :lol: Bubbles always burst somewhere down the road. I am far happier with telescope stock today than say stock in Cisco or Intel.

#45 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

" I am far happier with telescope stock today than say stock in Cisco or Intel"

You must mean your stock of old telescopes. ;) Have you checked the stock price of Meade or Celestron lately? Abysmal. :tonofbricks:

#46 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes, telescope stock that I can use on a clear night!

I was watching MEADE stock many years ago (in the mid $30 range?) thinking that I had missed the boat. Thankfully I didn't buy in before the boat capsized! BUT if you or I had bought in (with 20, 30 or 40k shares) at the 52 week low of 1.42 and sold yesterday... Happy would we be!

#47 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Unfortunately, I have never been able to buy low sell high whether it be stock or telescopes. ;) Well, maybe somtimes. :jump:

#48 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

The 15TEA, is the same as the 10Te except for Pedistal, drive, 2nd finder scope. .....

Mark

Mark if possible can you post an image of the pedistal on your 15te so I can see the difference(s) with my 10te ?

thanks!!

Frank T

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics