4 replies to this topic

#1 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hey all,
OK, I took advantage of the bad weather and replaced my RA switches. The new switches tested ok, but when I put everything together on the pier with the C14, it doesn't seem to want to find the home position. it slews all the way west and I have to abort before it runs into the pier.

The tube seems balanced ok. So does anyone have any idea why it might be doing this? It sounds like the switch isn't engaging, but I don't know why it wouldn't.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tim

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Make sure that you have the switches attached correctly to the board. You may have them "switched" around. You also need to be sure that both switches are clicking when then enter and leave the recessed tracks. You can also check them with a meter, but the auditory click is usually good enough in most cases.

#3 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Ed.
I'll double check everything tonight. The strange thing is, I powered up the mount and did a pretend start up with no scope and everything worked fine. I'm wondering if, under load, the switches are being closed. I might have to back them off or something.
Cheers
Tim

#4 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Fixed it... just moved the switch a tad.

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

As you noticed, Tim, the switches are REALLY sensitive when it comes to the settings for when they are on or off. I had a large time with my Dec switch until I opened up the RA to see exactly how the switches worked. Once I saw a well adjusted switch work, I set the Dec. switch and all was good. Glad you got it going!

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics