Photo

NexStar + Hand Control for CGE???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

My CGE Hand Controller appears to be inop.. Will not complete initilization. Just hangs on power-on.

Am I correct in my understanding that the CGE 4.x hand controller is no longer available, and that I have to "Upgrade" to the NexStar + Controller?

Has anyone done this? I guess that there is no chance that it will support the CGE out of the box, and that I will have to re-flash the controller? Does the controller come with the CD and instructions to do this?

Thanks for your assistance.

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Eddie,

I just saw a CG-5 hand control at Hands On Optics tonight for $99. In their used/demo section. It is listed as new/out of box.

Check this link.

http://handsonoptics..._page=page&id=5

#3 SergeC

SergeC

Apollo

• Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Have you tried to re-flash the firmware? That might save you the expense of a new HC (unless you really want a new one).

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

You know what? I didn't even think of that. Will try this now.

Thanks!

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

I don't think the CG5 hand controller works with the CGE. Seems that I have tried this before...

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have 4.x hand controllers for my two CGEs and two CG5s. They are identical and interchangeable. You don't even have to flash them to switch. The GEM firmware knows the difference between them.

-Wade

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Ok, on advice, I tried my CG5 hand controller and it did work. I had tried this in the past, but it was with a different CG5 I think, and maybe an older one that did not support both mounts.

I re-flashed the CGE hand control, and while the re-flash routine did complete, when I powered on the HC, it still did not initilze so it must be dead.

But My CG5 HC did indeed work, so I will order the one on the link above.

Thanks, all. Appreciate the help.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Any v4 HC from ANY Celestron scope/mount (gem or alt az) can be made to work on a CGE or other scope/mount. You simply re flash the appropriate firmware before trying to use the HC (just power it on in programming mode before you do anything else).

The gem4.xx firmware will also work with any Celestron gem (CG-5, CGEM, CGE, CGEPro). With the v4 stuff there is no longer a CG-5 or CGE specific hand controller ... just one with gem firmware or one with alt az firmware. When the HC powers up and talks with the MCs it figures out what kind of mount it's talking to and you then get the appropriate greeting.

This same situation applies with the new v5.xx NexStar+ HCs. Just buy either a gem or alt az model so it comes with the right firmware ... or reflash it yourself.

I agree with John, used v4 HCs are a good deal ... but the new NexStar+ stuff also works on the older CGEs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics