Photo

I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning!

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

• Loc: Racine, Wisconsin

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Here is the latest update from just two hours ago...

http://phys.org/news...on-jupiter.html

Cheers, Dan :)

#102 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: CO, USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Amazing sight, Dan. And better yet... thanks for sharing it with us all.

I haven't been posting much, 1 because i've had some health issues all summer, not to mention all the slack i tend to catch for posting ideas *shrugs* & 2...getting out of the hospital (28th of sept. plus a 10 'day stay') i was very eager to grab my tele-toy & gander upon the night sky... after nearly 2 weeks of Moon gazing, i step away from the eye piece (give my eyes some rest) continue to see what i see around 0ur Moon, and happen to catch something all sorts of fuzzy in my periphery vision thinking it was another comet(!) i get all sort's of giddy swing my tele-toy in that direction, start focusing on what i think is it's tail, only to finally find Pluto, spinning out of control!

I'm not attempting to swing this post elsewhere, That is an amazing sight to share. A couple nights prior, i thought i again seen objects breaking into much small pieces heading towards our gas-giant Jupiter. however it was quite cold that night, not to mention my line of sight, had me at nearly at a 90 degree angle to center Jupiter in my eyepiece. so i wasn't about to make another attempt to convince...

Thanks again, & Clear skies to everyone

-- seized

#103 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

so i wasn't about to make another attempt to convince...

:looney:

#104 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi Aaron,

I'm glad you're back into the swing of things. The reason I placed my observational post here was to alert fellow imagers, knowing that they would gather far more useful data by imaging the impact site than could observers. I've been out the last several mornings observing and capturing videos of Jupiter, with no explosions detected. I'm sure it won't be long before someone reports and hopefully records another fireball on Jupiter. Estimates of the September 10th, 2012 impact was that it may have been about 50% more energetic than the 2010 impacts, that would place its size and weight at approximately 13 meters (40 feet) and 2000 tons! But the real numbers won't be out for quite some time. I would like to see George Hall video record some first and second magnitude stars using the same settings and optical components and then compare their brightness to his original screenshot image, in order to determine the exact magnitude of this most recent explosion on Jupiter.

Clear skies and cheers, Dan :)

#105 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: CO, USA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Anthony and Freddy for your congratulations.

Yes Freddy, it has been interesting! A couple of minutes ago I just turned down another interview, this one was a TV reporter from KSTP in St. Paul, Minnesota. The chief editor of Sky & Telescope wanted an interview too, I just referred her to this forum post for information about my Jupiter impact observation. I didn't do anything to deserve to be put on TV or in a magazine. What does it say in the bible, The heavens declare the glory of God. He deserves the credit for everything that is up there. Each clear night I look up and enjoy the grandest show of all!

Best Regards, Dan Petersen :jump:

Wow!! Your humility is inspiring!! again, great catch! i'd love to hear more about the idea of closing your eyes to see this, event as it 'happened'. Clear skies to you ALL!

-- humbled

#106 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

i was very eager to grab my tele-toy & gander upon the night sky... start focusing on what i think is it's tail, only to finally find Pluto, spinning out of control!

I'm not attempting to swing this post elsewhere, That is an amazing sight to share. A couple nights prior, i thought i again seen objects breaking into much small pieces heading towards our gas-giant Jupiter. however it was quite cold that night, not to mention my line of sight, had me at nearly at a 90 degree angle to center Jupiter in my eyepiece. so i wasn't about to make another attempt to convince...

Thanks again, & Clear skies to everyone

-- seized

OK, you outdid Stanislas.

Pete

#107 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is the final image obtained from George Hall's September 10th, video. George used an Astronomik L-RGB type 2c Red filter to record Jupiter and the fireball. The image was professionally processed by Ricardo Hueso Alonso of Bilbao, SPAIN. The right image was taken by Glenn Orton the next day using the infrared IRTF telescope in Hawaii, Glenn was searching for a debris cloud, none was detected.

Please hit the attachment tab to see Ricardo's original image scale of Jupiter.

Clear skies, Dan :cool:

Attached Files

#108 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

The recorded fireball flash does not look very large when compared to Jupiter but when you place our Earth next to it you can't help but be amazed at it's apparent size! When I observed this impact on the morning of September 10th, I estimated and reported its size to be about 100 miles in diameter, this number is probably closer to the actual blast zone size with the visible flash measuring less than this. The estimation was very difficult to do with only a two second window of opportunity.

Best wishes to you and your loved ones during the month of December and I hope everybody has a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :jump:

Regards, Dan :cool:

Attached Files

#109 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Please remember that the fireball wasn't actually as big as it appears to be in this image. You are clearly seeing a diffraction effect, the telescope simply can not resolve details smaller. If you look closely you can see (part of) the first diffraction ring (distorted by the seeing a bit, so it is not symmetrical).

Every bright point source objects will look like this.

It was however a very bright flash, so even if in fact it was much much smaller that it appears here, it could clearly be detected.

So in short, your comparison does not make even a tiny bit of sense.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics