Repacement for the LX80 I never received

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well, for good or bad, I was one of the early buyers of the LX80. Still hoping that Meade gets it fixed and a great mount out there. But, I'm not waiting for that to happen any longer.

I'm looking for a replacement now. I have a CG5 AS GT that I purchased used to fill in until the LX80 arrived. I want to stay as close to $1000 as possible. Or at least my wife want me to - I'd be fine with $5K or so. But keeping the wife happy is important!

I can get a used Losmandy G8 or a new CGEM for about the same money. Both are a bit more than I had hopped to spend. I want a relatively trouble free, sturdy mount that will carry at least 30 pounds for visual and 15 to 20 for AP. I'm just getting to AP and don't know for sure what I'll need down the road. At first I'll be using a Canon and a f/7 refractor.

Even used, the G8 looks to be a better mount in most respects than the CGEM. A G11 is beyond what I can spend - even used.

In addition to the AP use, I have a 180mm SCT and a 8" f/5 Newtonian. Both mounts should handle them with ease.

Are there any new or used options to the G8 an CGEM that I should consider?

The other option I have considered is to do nothing. I like the CG5 fine and it may do me for my initial venture into AP.

Thanks for your advice!

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

An hour after canceling my LX80 order I received an email from a guy here in town (Greenfield) telling me how much he loves his LX80 and 10" OTA. Works great... May even sell his 18" Dob.

As far as I know he is using it for visual only and hasn't got a lot of time in on it but some users must be happy. Where are they on the forum?

Well, I've cancelled my cancellation of the LX80 order until I think it over some more. javascript:void(0)

Still would like input on alternatives.

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics