• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: so. cent PA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

I know a lot of posts have been made about various "error 17" No Response problems but in those cases do the RA and DEC direction buttons cease to work too? Because mine will slew manually but will not goto anything without resulting in a run-away slew that cannot be stopped without turning off the power. I've cleaned the jacks and receptacles, and reset the controller to Factory Settings. The error 17 has not reappeared but the slews are still run-aways. The RA and DEC buttons still work so I assume the cables and connections are OK, that problem must be in the hand controller.
Using Quick Align I am able to check the GOTO and GET RA & DEC but the HC read-out does not change no matter how I slew with the direction buttons(which work but will not stop a run-away slew).

Occasionally while reconnecting the power plug with the switch "on" and the transformer NOT plugged into the house current, the power light will blink as if the current was flowing!

HC is 4.10
MC is 5.07

Will an update cure this? Could this be the time to switch to iPad WiFi control?

It finally got clear here in cent.PA and this GOTO problem is a depressing development if there ever was one! :p

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Frank,

Power supplies will hold some power (usually in the capacitors) for a short period of time when the AC power is removed so that little "blink" is not unusual.

Runaway slews (along with the NR17 error) can be caused by a broken or intermittent DEC cable (among other things). It might be useful to try a different cable - it's an RJ12 6p6c cable (6pin 6 connector - and wired straight through (pin 1 goes to pin 1, etc.) as a regular extension cable NOT as a telephone extension cable because these are wired as a cross over (pin 1 to pin6, 2-3, etc.). A popular cable to replace these DEC cables would be a hand controller extension cable.

Since you've done the other basic stuff and a factory settings reset I would update the HC firmware. I'd consider 4.19 or 4.21. You'll need the Celestron HC-serial cable (#93920) and probably a USB-serial adapter.

If these measures don't fix it, download a copy of NexRemote and using the same cables for the update. This will move the HC functionality over to a PC and will prove whether your real HC is working correctly or not. Note: this is not the same thing as plugging in the PC and controlling the mount with a planetarium app, in this case the real HC has been used for the initial alignment and only with NexRemote will you bypass that.

#3 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I find that any "GOTO RA & DEC" inputs do not change the default coordinates. Manually slewing with directional buttons does not change the coordinate read-outs, either.
How is this linked to a bad DEC cable?

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Frank,

Your right ... since the coordinates don't change it's more than just a connection issue (have to cover the basics). So both sets of coordinates don't change right? If so it's obviously also not a single motor/encoder issue.

I'd still want to bypass the HC to prove whether or not the physical HC is at fault. I'd also do an HC and an MC firmware reload/upgrade (primarily because that's an easier and cheaper step to take than replacing an hardware). You will need to do these in order of HC first then MC ... since you won't have the ability with your current HC level to easily do an MC reload/upgrade (which requires that you are at HC firmware v4.13 or higher).

#5 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I also tried the encoder test from Celestron's site and asimuth coordinates do change, not altitude though. The buttons will move the head but no coordinates show on the display. Anywho, friend with a PC and requisite RS232 jacks and USB converter will loan me his stuff for the upgrading of both HC & MC. Will post results ASAP.

#6 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Well, I remember that I accidentally plugged the HC into the DEC jack and turned on the power the night my troubles began. Could it be I fried something?

Then upgrading the HC is a waste?

#7 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Finally have the results of my HC upgrade: Zero. Upgrader will not work because the PC cannot find the handset. The Rs232-USB serial converter cables work(downloaded and ran Nexstar Remote-same cable hookup). Even the "Remote" virtual handset showed the same Alt/Az display/change problems and allowed goto attempts to run for ever, with DEC slews every 12 secs. of 45˚ until shut off.
Back to the factory, maybe for both HC and encoders! Sob! :bawling:

#8 frankart

frankart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Got the New DEC motor. Also found a cut in half stink bug beside the old gear set, one leg on one gear. Didn't test the old motor at that point, just replaced it and tested that with a simple set-up and a goto Andromeda M-31 command and it worked!

#9 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

Got the New DEC motor. Also found a cut in half stink bug beside the old gear set, one leg on one gear. Didn't test the old motor at that point, just replaced it and tested that with a simple set-up and a goto Andromeda M-31 command and it worked!

I hate finding dead bugs in mounts. Yuk! I just opened up a G11 Gemini controller the other day and found a bunch of dead crikets in it. I have come across numerous other buggy mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics