Celestron CG5-ASGT Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JIM262

JIM262

Sputnik

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have this mount about three years with no problems. Now I have one. While performing a 2 star align, my mount will not completely stop slewing and does not ask to use the arrow buttons to align the selected star. I checked the power supply and used three different sources - same problem each time. I checked the DEC cable with OHM meter and all six connections ok. I took the mount covers off and all cables look good. Could one of the boards be a problem?

Of course the mount has to act up during the best weather conditions in my area.

#2 austin.grant

austin.grant

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Mine's done that before, and I seem to remember just hitting UNDO and selecting the same star again. The second slew has always worked fine, although it is a weird problem.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Jim,

Make sure the power connector is tight (carefully split the center pin a bit often helps). Check the power switch isn't starting to fail (getting warm), try slowly exercising the switch a bit (bunch of on/off movements with the power off).

Reset the HC to factory settings - but make sure you save any of your backlash settings first.

Clean the HC and DEC cable connectors and sockets with some contact cleaner.

Update the firmware in the HC.

#4 JIM262

JIM262

Sputnik

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Mark,
I did all your recommendations last night and to no avail.

Thanks though for your response.

Jim

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Well then I guess we're looking at ...

- internal cabling
- MC board
- Encoder (if it's moved you may need to have a look at it's spacing - you'll need a very small allen wrench to adjust it. It's a very subtle adjustment (very small spacing). There have been some discussions about adjusting the encoder spacing here and on the ASGT Yahoo Group. Try searching on "encoder runaway slew").

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics