Photo

Universal Astronomics Unistar - Tripod ideas?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seattlepete

seattlepete

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uh...seattle.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

I have a Unistar Deluxe. I've had two others in the past that I used with an Atlas tripod. I got rid of the Atlas tripod and am now looking for ideas on a new tripod.

Weight is not an issue...I want a rock solid foundation. No Meade Field Tripods though.

If anyone has a good solid tripod idea, I would appreciate it. I will be using my 120ED and eventually a C9.25.

Thanks!

#2 spencerj

spencerj

Apollo

• Loc: Londonderry, NH

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

A wooden surveying tripod works well. I got mine from Universal Astronomics years ago, but there are plenty of suppliers. They are heavy/solid enough and wood is a good material for dampening vibration. I have always been happy with mine even with my 20+ lbs MN66 mounted on my Unistar.

#3 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

No Meade Field Tripods though.

Pete, do tell. I thought these were good tripods?

#4 seattlepete

seattlepete

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I hear they are...I just don't have the field tripod adapter for the mount...I have 3/8ths and 5/8ths posts but not the big wide one for that tripod!

#5 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

I agree with Jason, a surveyor's tripod would be a good match. I've always fancied this one. Heard good things too.

#6 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I use a Universal Astronomics heavy-duty wooden surveyor's tripod for mine, and have been very pleased with its stability.

#7 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

I agree with Jason, a surveyor's tripod would be a good match. I've always fancied this one. Heard good things too.

I had one of those, good for only a small scope (60-80mm). Bigger scopes don't fare too well on it, at least not for me. I had a pretty loaded Takahashi Sky 90 on a Teegul mount and I was not happy with the tripod performance. I went out and got a Televue Gibtaltar tripod which worked much better.

#8 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

I have a fairly old Bogen-Manfrotto 475 which works well with several of Larry's mounts I own. In fact I purchased it from Larry. It has very effective spreaders for stability and a stable crank-up center pillar. It's my favorite tripod, though not the most portable.

A thought: Why not call Larry for a recommendation?

#9 seattlepete

seattlepete

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

I'm actually going to send the mount back to him for an encoder install so I wont need the tripod for a bit...I still have my atlas at my sister's house and can get it back if I want it....I might just end up that way....I used it with that tripod with my C9.25 and it worked great....we'll see..thanks for the ideas!

#10 Texas

Texas

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Another vote for the surveyor's tripod. Works great with mine.

#11 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have the UA surveyors tripod. It completely changed the stability of my mount. Rock solid - damp time less than 1 second. I can lean against it while viewing. Handles my 120 ED with ease.

Attached Files

#12 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

I use my Unistar Deluxe on a Disc Mount tall tripod meant for the DM6. With my SV115 it is a very stable combination (using the tray that serves as a very rigid spreader), noticeably better than the Oberwerke heavy surveyors tripod (which did lack a decent spreader).

The main drawback to the DM tripod is that the legs are fixed length, which makes it a little more cumbersome for travel.

Jeff Bennett

#13 seattlepete

seattlepete

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. My unistar will be going back for encoders so I have another 3-4 weeks to decide on the tripod.

I'll look into all these combos.

Thanks again!

#14 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I currently own four UA mount/tripod combinations..from the duel clamping Unistar deluxe attached to a Celestron CGE tripod to the Unistar light attached to a UA light surveyor tripod. All are excellent. The 40 pound CGE tripod is used with a C14 while the smaller combination is used with a SV 102ED.

I have a Meade field tripod with the UA adapter plate and use it with scopes from a C9.25 to a Meade 12 ACF. It is a very stable setup, more so than the UA heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod, which I also owned a few years back. I would also recommend a call to Larry to discuss your options..good luck.

Bill

#15 Rich_W

Rich_W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I've used a heavy duty wooden surveyor tripod and a Meade field tripod with my Unistar Deluxe and both have been good. Most rock solid set up I have is the Unistar on a G11 tripod. Larry has an adaptor and it's a great set up.

#16 seattlepete

seattlepete

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

I currently own four UA mount/tripod combinations..from the duel clamping Unistar deluxe attached to a Celestron CGE tripod to the Unistar light attached to a UA light surveyor tripod. All are excellent. The 40 pound CGE tripod is used with a C14 while the smaller combination is used with a SV 102ED.

I have a Meade field tripod with the UA adapter plate and use it with scopes from a C9.25 to a Meade 12 ACF. It is a very stable setup, more so than the UA heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod, which I also owned a few years back. I would also recommend a call to Larry to discuss your options..good luck.
Bill

Wow..I know you have posted that you've used the Unistar with your 12" but the C14? Wow.

I used my older ones with a C9.25 and a C11 for a bit.

I think these are by far the best alt/az mounts for the price...just have loved every one I've owned.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics