• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Missouri

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Greetings,

Does anyone here have experience with BOTH the Leica Trinovid 8 X 32 BN and the Swarovski Habicht 8 X 30? I currently have a newly refurbished pair of the Trinovids, but have read about the excellence of the Habicht. I cannot get the Habicht through my local dealer (or anywhere else, it appears), however, I will be going to Vienna soon and wondered whether the Habicht would be a significant step up.

I wear glasses, and like the Leicas because they make it easy to observe with them, but not being able to observe with glasses might not be a deal breaker. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Brent

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I cannot get the Habicht through my local dealer (or anywhere else, it appears)
Brent

Sometimes they show up on ebay.
You could also contact this dealer.

PLEASE CLICK HERE

Stan

#3 Brent

Brent

Mariner 2

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Stan,

I'll see what they cost in Austria, but it's nice to know I can get them here if I need to. I'd still like to know how they compare to the Trinovids, so I can decide if they are worth the extra money (if I buy the Habicht, I'm assuming I should be able to sell the Leicas for about $600).

Brent

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi Brent,

I had them both. Now I only have the Habicht 8x30.

The Trinovid 8x32 BA are very nice, compact binoculars. The Habicht 8x30 however, is sharper, brighter and more contrasty on axis. The Habicht also has much better off-axis illumination. For their size, the Leica's are superb. Optically, the 8x30 is better. It has the added bonus of the 3D view only porros deliver. And it is fully waterproof. If you must wear glasses, the Trinovids have a tad more eyerelief and more easily adjustable eyegards. Without glasses, the Habicht is wonderful.

Now I only have the Swarovski 8x30W and Nikon 18x70 in my bino stable, a great pair indeed.

I would like to add that binos, no matter how good, have to match your eyes, facial topography and observing targets and -conditions. Only then will they make the observer truly happy.

#5 Brent

Brent

Mariner 2

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

Eric,

Thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in, as I seemed to remember you had owned the Leica. I'll try a pair of the Habicht when in Austria in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Brent

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Brent,

That sounds like an excellent plan. The off-axis illumination difference with the Leica shows profoundly under the stars, but not during daytime observations.

Have a good trip to Austria and keep us posted!

#7 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Brent

PLEASE CLICK HERE

Stan

I'll jump. I'm enjoying my 8x40s a lot and I'm kind of curious about the smaller exit pupil.

#8 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

My 8x30s came in. I tried them out last night. I'm not a technical guy when it comes to binoculars, but the moon looked far better in the Swarovski's than the Nikon's. I didn't notice any difference in brightness but I really noticed the difference in quality. Much more crisp and detailed. Very flat. Less glow. Very, very nice.

Also, they didn't come with any lens caps for the objectives. Only for the ocular. Seems kind of strange. Is that typical with these?

#9 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

John

The Habichts don't come with objective lens caps but they are available from Swarovski. I'm glad you're enjoying the view provided by your Habicht. I continue to be impressed with mine, tightest most pinpoint stars I've ever seen at 8x and I'm fortunate enough to have some pretty good 8x binos.

Steve

#10 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi Steve

Pinpoint is right. I got out for a hour or so I noticed that as well. I look forward to getting to a dark site with them.

#11 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:55 AM

Brent

PLEASE CLICK HERE
Stan

Hi Stan, This dealer is only about 30 miles from my place. He posts on BirdForum. I have not made a trip down yet. He seems like a good fellow. People can orders these from Cameraland as well, you have to wait of course.

#12 Brent

Brent

Mariner 2

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Erik wanted a report back, so here it goes.

I was able to locate the 8 X 30 Habicht in Vienna ('just got back). I liked the size, and just about everything about it except the eye relief and price. Mind you, I wasn't able to really try it out as much as I would have liked. (The proprietor of the shop did open the window to let me look out, but kept trying to push larger roof prisms into my hands.)

In what little time I did have to use it, I didn't get on that well when trying to view with glasses. I couldn't see the whole field of view as I can with my Leica Trinovid. Glasses off, no problem. Of course, having no other binocular with me, I could not compare directly (the shop did not sell Leica). However, I can confidently say that I when I first tried out the Leica I noticed some false color in certain circumstances; I could see none whatsoever in the Swarovsky. On the other hand, the Swarovski seemed to be more susceptible to flare. So much for the short daytime test run. Overall, however, I was left with the impression that my Leica binocular is probably better suited to all-around use for a spectacle wearer. Because of this, and because the cost was something I could not justify even with the excuse that "life is short," I had to pass on this fine specimen . . . for now. (Besides, when one is hemorrhaging money on foreign travel is not the best time to convince the Mrs. that one should be rewarded with another astro toy).

Well, then I get back to the States and find more posts on this thread about the Swaro's virtues. Hmmmph! Trying to tempt me again, I see. Thanks a lot—and just when I thought I was decided. Now I'm back to dreaming and longing acquisitively again, but until life lets me save enough pennies to buy the Habicht painlessly, I'll have to make do with the old Leica . . . make do, and wonder. I'm so fickle.

Brent

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the report Brent. With glasses on, the Habicht is a no go, their eyerelief is a bit too short for that. Stick to your Leicas, they are far easier on glasses and superb binos in their own right.

#14 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'll report back as well once my 8x30 comes back from Austria. I sent it to RI for evaluation and more than likely they will send it to Austria.

#15 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

In the past few days I've had my first real opportunity to get out in daytime and really enjoy these binoculars in some wetland areas. I just love using them. The images they give me are wonderful.

#16 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yes, they are wonderful. I did get mine back from Austria and oddly enough, I enjoy them even more with the eyecups folded down.

I get the sense that the image scale seems a bit smaller than 8x32 roofs they make. It may give the impression that you see more with their roofs but it could be an illusion. I feel like I'm looking at a 9x32 in their roofs.

#17 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

In the past few days I've had my first real opportunity to get out in daytime and really enjoy these binoculars in some wetland areas. I just love using them. The images they give me are wonderful.

I'm always impressed with the images offered when using the Habicht and never go more than a few days without using mine. I use it a lot for daytime terrestrial viewing but also a lot under the night sky when viewing here in town. When at a dark site I like a larger exit pupil but here in town an exit pupil ~4mm is a great compromise, letting in enough light for the object being viewed but not letting in so much light that it "washes out" the background keeping the sky nice and dark. I recently had a little spare time and did some quick resolution testing using both the 1951 USAF and ISO 12233 (my personal favorite) charts and confirmed what I already knew after using my binoculars many times observing the night sky....the 8x30 Habicht is my sharpest 8x binocular.

Steve

#18 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Steve,

Do you use the real charts ? or a download from the web. Where do you get those ? I've been using a two dollar bill but it's just not the same......

Jae

#19 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Steve,

Do you use the real charts ? or a download from the web. Where do you get those ? I've been using a two dollar bill but it's just not the same......

Jae

Jae

I agree it's not the same because a chart lets you put a numerical value on how well your binoculars compare with each other as opposed to " I can (or can't) make out that number/letter". The website is www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

Steve

#20 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I had another great week exploring with these Habicht's. I've also the Nikon Premier SE 10x42 so I alternate when I take them out. It's been a lousy spring for binocular astronomy so instead of galaxies and clusters I've been looking at woodpeckers, white tailed deer and wild turkeys.

#21 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I had another great week exploring with these Habicht's. I've also the Nikon Premier SE 10x42 so I alternate when I take them out. It's been a lousy spring for binocular astronomy so instead of galaxies and clusters I've been looking at woodpeckers, white tailed deer and wild turkeys.

The Habichts are great for daytime use in the field not just because of their compact size but also there is the added bonus of being one of the few center focus porros that is fully waterproof. I agree with you about the view through the 8x30 Habicht....it's about as good as it gets at 8x magnification.

Steve

#22 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I'd like to get some winged eyecups for my 8x30W. I know the Baader option is available.

web page

I think you have Nikon eyecups Steve if I recall correctly.

Are there other options?

#23 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'd like to get some winged eyecups for my 8x30W. I know the Baader option is available.

web page

I think you have Nikon eyecups Steve if I recall correctly.

Are there other options?

Andy

I also use the Sport Optics brand for some of my binoculars. www.fieldopticsresearch.com/

#24 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for that link Steve.

I have bought the Baader ones to try for now. See how they go. The raingaurd will no longer fit but I've taken the one off another bino that does fit over the folded eyegaurds.

Baader have three sizes of winged eyegaurds available, it is the middle size that fits the Habicht.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics