Photo

Baffled by Stellarium 11.4 oculars black screen!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

I just tried another download of 0.11.4 last night.

What could have changed between 0.11.3 and 0.11.4? The oculars plugin does not show the sky. The crosshair does show.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

:help:

#2 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NY, LI, USA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

works here .
Does the no OpenGl2 shortcut help .

you might try removing/overwriting your old data (you can do this easy with installer ,there checkboxes for this) , not sure if it will help .

#3 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Do you get anything on the screen?

Or are you simply saying the screen outside of the Ocular enclosed area is black?

Your message is a bit confusing...

If your screen has the ocular circle and shows stars/DSO enclosed but the rest of the screen outside of the ocular area is blank/black, I believe that is the way it should be...

I did have trouble with the ocular plugin when I first upgraded to 0.11.4 however discovered the problem I had was due to attempting to run the Win 32 version on a Win 64 bit machine. Installing the correct version fixed the problem I was having which was with the Sensor settings, it had nothing to do with Oculars other than sharing the same plugin...

#4 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to install the 0.11.4 Win 64 version twice and before those attempts the Win 32 version. I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I have first uninstalled the 0.11.3 version and then overwritten/deleted existing 0.11.3 files when prompted.

I should have taken a screenshot. There is no "ocular circle" through which you "see" the sky and stars. As described in the title of this post, all I see is a black screen. This really bugs me. The 0.11.3 oculars plugin works just fine. Something has been changed. But what the heck is it?

Also, I have never had to use the "No OpenGl2" option.

I will try one more complete, new installation. That is, remove every last bit of Stellarium from my computer. However, I have already tried that approach. If it doesn't work, I'll pass on this version (for a while).

#5 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Does the no OpenGl2 shortcut help .

Yes, that works. Thanks for mentioning it.

I've never had to go that route before. So, of course, I didn't even consider that a solution. I'm sure I can find some information about it and learn (maybe).

:grin: :like:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics