Do I really need the HC for Atlas EQ-G

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 netboy

netboy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I am going to buy a new mount. Most likely the Orion Atlas. My question is do I really need the HC. I know I can control all kinds of things using eqmod instead of using the HC. I guess I am just asking if anyone has regretting not buying it with the HC or regret spending the extra $$$ for the HC.

I do image and have been using wifi scope to control my current cg5 via ipad and sky safari.

Thanks

#2 astroRoy

astroRoy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Oregon

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I forgot the Atlas is, or at least was, available without the HC. Where do you find such a critter? I may be interested in one myself. Model/number? With EQMOD, the HC isn't necessary at all, but with the new ASPA feature for the Synta mounts, a hand controller would be a valuable plus if you image.

Roy

#3 netboy

netboy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

http://telescopes.ne...rial-mount.html This is where i found it. This is the right mount right?

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

The ad says dual axis controller, but the picture shows the goto controller. Truth in advertising, eh?

#5 astroRoy

astroRoy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yep, that's it. I do have an extra HC for the Atlas, but it is the old version and isn't upgradable. Plug it in and you have hand control - less the ASPC and some newer features of course. Let me know if you need it - we can deal. It is handy for setup and stuff for quick testing at the mount and you don't want to use the PC to just do simple testing. I think I'll buy this since I have a full version already and I can use the newer hand controller for both. Thanks for the link.

Roy

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I am going to buy a new mount. Most likely the Orion Atlas. My question is do I really need the HC. I know I can control all kinds of things using eqmod instead of using the HC. I guess I am just asking if anyone has regretting not buying it with the HC or regret spending the extra $$$ for the HC.

I do image and have been using wifi scope to control my current cg5 via ipad and sky safari.

Thanks

The Atlas is only available with the go-to HC these days.

#7 astroRoy

astroRoy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Rod, did you look at his link? It clearly describes the lesser version. But then, it says "Manufactured by Orion" too, and we know that isn't true. :rofl5:

Roy

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

I did look at it...looks squirrley to me...

#9 tjugo

tjugo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

If the only reason to get the HC is the ASPA routine IMO it is not worth it. The polar finder/eqmod-polar-routine does a very good job. Alignmaster is as accurate as ASPA, however you need to have access to low horizons to use Alignmaster.

Cheers,

Jose

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Well, the ASPA routine is frankly easier to use than either--though the EQMOD polar align helper does indeed work very well. The reasons to get the HC are two...you can't buy an Atlas without one now, and the HC comes in handy for times when you just don't want to fool with a computer.

I am currently trying out the new beta of the HC firmware in the field, and am frankly impressed. Seems much closer to the Celestron version go-to alignment/go-to alignment accuracy-wise.

#11 astroRoy

astroRoy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

I sent an inquiry to Woodland Hills about whether this non-goto version is really availabe. I wouldn't have bothered, but they do have a half-page ad in Astronomy Magazine. I'll keep ya'all posted as to what they say.

Roy

#12 astroRoy

astroRoy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

No reply to my inquiry. Squirrley indeed!

Roy

#13 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I've found other Orion items at Telescopes.net before (and HighPoint Scientific on the other coast) and after contacting them found out it was a dead link. Seems they don't always clean their online catalog's outdated pages or dead links.

#14 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Dont Orion offer the Syntrek versions then ? He in Europe you can have full GoTo or Syntrek. The Syntrek has the GoTo motors and control board in the mount but only a basic handset. The upshot being that you can use an external source, EQMOD for instance, to get the GoTo functions.

They also used to do a basic version with just DEC and RA tracking motors and x16 slew speec but I am pretty sure thas been discontinued now.

#15 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

No, Orion discontinued the dual-axis controller version of the Sirius & Atlas mounts a few years back. The only thing available now is the go-to version.

#16 astrodudeKurt

astrodudeKurt

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Calif

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

One thing to look out for - if you do NOT get the HC, you will need the RS-232 12V to 5V adapter to connect your computer to the mount. If you have the HC, you can use the PC Direct function of the HC as a level converter. Plugging the 12V from the RS-232 into the mount directly will cause damage.

My own opinion is get the HC. I don't always want to bring a laptop out in the field. Using the HC by itself save a lot of setup time if you just want to have a look see.

Kurt

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics