• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hi all! I like long refractors and I wonder if the skywatcher EQ6 (or Orion EQ-G) is capable to carry a 6" f/12-f/15. Has anybody tried this combination of telescope and mount? I see on the net old Alvan Clark 6" refractors on ancient mounts that seem much lighter than an EQ6...
Thank you in advance for your answers.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

It should. I use a 6" f/8 refractor on an LXD75 without any problems and the Atlas is a much stronger mount. However, there are a couple of related issues. First, the Atlas is a relatovely short mount, even with the pier extension that they sell for it. Second, even if a tall pier extenion were available I would want to try to lift the Atlas on top of it. The Atlas is one heavy mount! These problems go away if this were on a permanent mount, but something to consider if this is for a portable mount. My refractor rides on top of an 18" pier extension which is plenty high enough for an f/8 with the tripod legs extended a short distance. I can also use 2 diagonals which articulates the eyepiece so I can position it at a very comfortable angle even when my telescope is pointing near zenith.

And yes, I own an Atlas, but no, I wouldn't consider putting my refractor on it for visual use. It serves as my imaging mount.

#3 johnC

johnC

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Hucknall Nottingham UK

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

The eq6/atlas can easily manage a 6" refractor.
Mine was used without a pillar but would have been better with one.
I never found the weight a problem.

Attached Files

#4 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

I don't know. It likely will hold it but the longer momentum arm of an F12-F15 might give you problems. The scopes these individuals are indicating are F8's which make it much easier for the mount to handle them. I suspect the Atlas will do it but not as well as it's working for these other scopes.

#5 Refractor6

Refractor6

Soyuz

• Loc: Vancouver B.C. , Canada

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm not so sure about the longer scopes......

A few things come to mind first being the height required to view at the ep. The stock 2" steel legs will not get you to good height for the ep depending on the part of the sky observed for a f/12-f/15 6 incher. A real long 6" is going to be a challenge in that regard. My other concern is the longer momentum as just mentioned by another member...think it could a bit much for this mount for steady views.

I use a NEQ6 myself but my heavy 37 lbs OTA is relatively short at f/7 so views at the ep are well placed for the part of sky of choice and it's a solid combo for the shorter tube.

Attached Files

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The weight isn't a problem, but the moment of inertia could be a challenge. Is there a way to slow down the slewing rate on the Atlas. I know that you can control the manual slewing rate, but I'm not sure about the GoTo slewing rate.

By the way, my refractor back-saver...

Attached Files

#7 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

My AR-6 on an extended LXD75 is in the center of my refractor family portrait...

Attached Files

#8 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

I know about short 6" scopes but I don't like short achromatics for me the shortest acceptable achromatic for reasonable secondary spectrum is an f/12 and better still an f/15. Instead of "goto" slewing the scope may be manually pointed to targets but it will be difficult to reach the clutches with a long telescope I guess...
A sturdy wooden homemade tripod with a pedestal on it will be far better than the steel tripod that comes with the mount I think.
PS Jonh: nice family :)

#9 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks! The challenge isn't the tripod or pedestal, it's lifting the equatorial head. The Atlas is a massive mount. You might ask in the refractor forum. Several people in there report using f/12-15 D&G refractors.

Ahhh, I just noticed that you list an EQ-6 in your signature, so you're already familiar with this mount.

#10 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

I have the mount but I use it with either my 6" f/8 newtonian or 4" f/5 (skywatcher 102/500) refractor. I know its overkill for these but I prefer overkill instead of wobblines :)

#11 Refractor6

Refractor6

Soyuz

• Loc: Vancouver B.C. , Canada

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well in my case my shorter tube {but heavy} 6" is a triplet apo and the stock 2" legs bring it to just the right height for comforable seated zenith views. The NEQ6 is a good match as stated.

I suspect if you could find just the right custom tripod for extending the mount head height further up that the EQ-6 just may work if the OTA isn't a real beast in the weight department combined with the added length...might be worth a try Giorgos {?}

#12 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Giorgos:

In my opinion, no. The EQ6/Atlas is not up to the task of handling a 6" f/12 to 6" f/15 OTA. The moment arm of such a tube will be substantial. Even with a Hargrave strut, I'd say the mount is insufficient. Even a G-11 class mount is a bit chancy with such an OTA.

Here's a similar discussion:

http://www.cloudynig...ll/fpart/3/vc/1

Best of luck finding a suitable mount.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics