Photo

How to use Super Polaris North of Latitude 42 ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

The polar axis altitude adjustment plate hits the casing at the maximum latitude position of 42 degrees. How do people use their mounts North of that?

Right now I am at latitude 47 and can polar align by making the rear legs of my tripod shorter. But that rises the danger of tipping and looks very odd. There should be a better solution!

Thanks,
--Dom

#2 jsiska

jsiska

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Dom,

From the http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/ web site.
Pages 7 and 8 of the Super Polaris Equatorial Mount Telescope Instruction Brochure is titled “How to use a telescope mount.” Carefully study through these pages. Note: it is stated on two these pages that the Super Polaris mounts can be used as either an equatorial mount or as an alt-azimuth mount. The diagrams show how to convert between the two modes of operation.

If you are following the instructions correctly and still are having a problem, it may be that a previous user was using the mount in the alt-azimuth mode and did not correctly convert it to equatorial mode. If this is the case using the two diagrams on the left side of page 7 you may be able to correct the problem after taking off the adjusting plate and repositioning the internal works.

If I recall correctly, several years ago I had a similar problem when going back to equatorial mode from the alt-azimuth mode. It was actually a simple readjustment.

#3 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thank you Jim!

It is exactly as you suggested. After loosening the nut of the polar axis altitude adjustment plate with a 7/32" Allen wrech, the plate can be repositioned. In any given position it allows to cover an approx 30 degrees of latitude range.

My mount came from the Spanish side of the old Adams-Onís Treaty line and was hence set to cover those lower latitudes.

Thanks again,
--Dom

#4 jsiska

jsiska

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

"...the old Adams-Onís Treaty line"

LOL! That's a new one on me; I had to Google that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics