Photo

Help program Atlas Mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 denjo

denjo

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

I have switched from piggy back to side by side on my Atlas mount. I thought the manual wound tell me how to reprogram the mount to know where it is pointing since with the side by side it is pointing 90 deg. off the original set up but to my surprise I do not see it anywhere in the manual.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or post a site that tells me how to do this?

thanks, denjo

Attached Files

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

The mount has no absolute encoders nor index switches. It relies on you to set the initial position (as in the photos above). There's no difference so far as the mount is concerned.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Because there are no home sensors or encoders, there is nothing that you need to change in order to use the mount. Just do your normal alignment and you will be fine. Of course, the mount needs to be well balanced and the OTAs pointed together.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

As the others have stated, as long as you make that new setup the Home position, it should be good to go.

#5 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

If you meah the difference between home positions between side by side by side and piggy back, the top puck is easy to orient. To get a home position appropriate to a side-by-side setup, there are three small hex screws on the side of the mount head up near the top puck. Position the empty mount head in DEC so that the center line of sight for the polar scope is clear. Loosen the the hex screws just a little and rotate the puck dovetail slot to east-west. Then tighten the three hex screws firmly. Now the dovetail holding the pair will point them north for the side by side setup. and the sight line through the polar scope is open.

Having the dovetail in the top puck oriented so that the telescope(s) point to 0/360 azimuth helps me do a two step iterative polar alignment and has the sight line for the polar scope open if you polar align using the polar scope.

Mine is a single 10" SCT with a Losmandy dovetail and Ken Dauzat saddle plate, so my dovetail slot faces north-south but I've set up alongside folks with side by side scopes with the dovetail slot oriented east-west to get a Home position that has the scopes pointed North and the polar scope open for use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics