• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

does the cg5 have the same setup and alignment procedure, (time, date location, etc,) as the nextstar se mounts. i have the se mount and really like the setup procedure. would like a gem for some ap. if its the same i would not have to learn a completely new setup process. thanks, don

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

It is very similar but with an EQ mount there are two big differences -- you need to polar align the mount head (aim north and set latitude) and also add a couple of callibration stars on the opposite side of the meridian from your initial alignmen stars. Otherwise the hand control commands are pretty similar to the Nexstar systen.

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

thanks mikebokc, GO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Chris Boar

Chris Boar

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well you don't need to accurately polar align the CG-5 if you don't want/have to. I never have as I can't see Polaris from my OBS. I've got my 8SE OTA on a CG5 mount.

The controller is almost the same, but the alignment procedure is different. YOu have alignment stars (pick 2 stars on one side of the meridian), and then calibration stars (to calculate the cone error on the scope), where you can pick upto 4 stars on the other side of meridan.

With the latest handset fw you can do a fancy pseudo Polar align called Allstar align which can use other stars once you are aligned to calculate where Polaris should be. I'm just about to start playing with this feature for AP.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics