Photo

A Guide to DSLR Planetary Imaging - Now Available!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm happy to announce that my latest book, A Guide to DSLR Planetary Imaging, is now available!

Click this link to learn more about it:

http://www.astropix.com/GDPI/INTRO.HTM

Click this link to order:

http://www.astropix.com/GDPI/ORDER.HTM

The book explains how to take beautiful high-resolution astrophotos of the Sun, Moon and planets with your Canon DSLR camera by recording Live View and using “Lucky Imaging”.

Lucky Imaging is a technique where hundreds or thousands of frames are recorded in a video. The video is then analyzed by special software and only those frames that were “lucky” to have been shot in moments of good seeing are selected and used to produce an image with sharp high-resolution details.

You can even do high-resolution planetary imaging with a Canon DSLR camera that does not even shoot video, such as with the Canon Digital Rebel XS (1000D), as long as it has Live View.

Examples of the kinds of images you can take can be found here at my planetary imaging gallery:

http://www.astropix....y/Planetary.HTM

Best regards and clear steady skies!

Jerry Lodriguss

http://www.astropix.com

#2 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm sure that Jerry wouldn't mind to post a short review of his new book here :)

A Guide to DSLR Planetary Photography" is the first book by Jerry that I read, but am sure that it will not be the last one, because I'm going to order the others too. It is remarkable in many ways. Jerry's style of writing is very clean and easy to understand. The book is organized in the natural flow of the imaging process of the objects in the Solar system. Starting with explanation what is important to achieve good results, what you can use, what to expect and if you decide to buy new equipment you will know what has to be considered. The information gives knowledge what you can image with your setup and also the knowledge what you need, if you want to shoot something particular. Then continues with description how to plan a successful planetary imaging session (something that is different from deep-sky imaging), the ways you can image, tricks how to get most of your camera and telescope. There are explications how to use the most popular imaging and processing applications available in the net. With few words, in this book you can find information about everything related to planetary imaging that you can think-of and about things that you possibly never took into account.

Something that I like a lot is that explanations are short and clear. The described steps are easy to follow, illustrated and organized in way that you can check in the field if there is need. There are a lot of stunning images. The majority of them are made by Jerry and undoubtedly shows that this book is a result of long real experience and detailed study of this specific branch of the astro-photography. The electronic variant allows to blink images in order to see what is the effect of processing, to see animations and to watch video tutorials with the described processing techniques in addition to the text. All this is very handy and as it is said sometimes a picture explains better than many words.

The book is focused on DSLRs, but huge part of it will still be very useful if you are using dedicated planetary or web camera. Big thumbs for this comprehensive handbook!

Many thanks for writing this book Jerry!

#3 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

Sweet! I can't wait to add this to my collection of Jerry's books.

Thanks for writing it!

Greg

#4 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hi Ivo,

Thank you very much for the review, and thank you for a great program in AstroPnotography Tool!

It is great for DSLR imaging, both long-exposure deepsky and planetary as well.

Jerry

#5 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your kind words!

Jerry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics