Photo

Recommendations on a compatible Mach1 tripod?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I’ve been contemplating a purchase of an AP Mach1 mount as an upgrade to my CGEM. My question is this. I’m primarily interested in AP and could use some advice on the best tripod for the Mach1. I need to setup and breakdown each time I image so ease of setup/takedown is a big consideration. I'm leaning toward the wooden tripod but not sure about is applicability for AP. What are your thoughts on the stability for AP, of the following tripods up for consideration. The following are my considerations and thoughts:

The AP Berlecach Wooden Tripod (less expensive, simple setup, light)
The AP Eagle 6 (Easy setup and take down, looks solid, rather expensive)
The AP Portable Pier (More time to setup, and level in the field)
Losmandy HD Tripod (Very sturdy, more setup and take down time, read that loose parts tend to be troublesome to manage)

Any advice/opinion is appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

The G11 tripod is the cheap way to go. That's what I have. BUT, there is a bit of play in the holes where the mounting knobs (or screws, if you don't have the Losmandy knobs) go through to the ADATRI adapter. It's a non-issue 99% of the time, but if you change scopes or do anything with the scope that requires a bit of force, then the Mach1 head can shift, disturbing the polar alignment. If I had it to do over again, I'd take a good look at the Eagle or even A-P's wood tripod. Within the coming month, I hope to have my mount on a permanent pier, so hopefully this whole issue will be behind me.

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Three words for you: Rob Miller Tripod .

Best..,

Regards,

skybsd

#4 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

I second the Rob Miller idea. Very sturdy and light. Works very nicely with my 6" refractor. An even sturdier, less fiddly, but much heavier choice is the Tak heavy duty metal tripod. The Tak also requires a special adapter that may not easy to get your hands on.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

I have the Rob Miller. I received it about a month ago, and have had it out twice. It is very stable and lightweight. Perfect for a portable setup. It is stable enough for imaging, but I havent tested it in heavy winds.

There are cheaper options. I started with a celestron cpc tripod with an adatri. The Losmandy HD is another option. Then you get into the AP's which are all good options. The Eagle is awesome, but expensive.

Each tripod has it's benefits. The Rob Miller is its portability.

#6 Mlehere

Mlehere

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Rob Miller. Enough Said.

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

AP eagle pier. It's like being rooted to the earth. And even comes in a transport case.

-Rich

#8 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

My Mach 1 started on the A-P Portable Pier, then it moved to the Losmandy HD.

Now it lives on the Eagle.

Expensive? Yes
Worth it? Yes

Cheers,

Ron

#9 psu_13

psu_13

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have the Eagle. I never break it down because being a clutz I'm not convinced I could remember how to open it again... that said, I've done 2min unguided exposures with a mallincam in a 20mph wind with my C8, and it was solid. And this is on a concrete patio.

You can probably find a lighter or cheaper tripod, but I don't think you can find one that's more stable.

#10 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions I’ll definitely check out the Rob Miller tripod as an option. I was seriously considering the Eagle as it looked solid and seemed easy to setup and takedown. Things would be so much easier if one could examine equipment up close and personal. (ie a monthly NEAF) Of course then I would be consently broke!

#11 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions I’ll definitely check out the Rob Miller tripod as an option. I was seriously considering the Eagle as it looked solid and seemed easy to setup and takedown. Things would be so much easier if one could examine equipment up close and personal. (ie a monthly NEAF) Of course then I would be consently broke!

If the weight or the price of the Eagle doesn't turn you off, then it would be your best option. It is rock solid and beautiful. Seeing it in person doesn't make you want it any less. It also has a place to mount the GTO box.

The reason I went with the Rob Miller is it was pretty much half the price, but also a third the weight. I like the idea of being able to pick the tripod and mount head up and move it 20 feet away into a garage. The Eagle put me slightly over my limits.

NEAF keeps me broke as it is. If it was monthly, I'd be living in van. With all my awesome equipment. :yay:

#12 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Between the Rob Miller and the Berlebach Planet what are the relative advantages and disadvantages? I figure that the Berlebach will dampen well, but be heavier than the Rob Miller. True? Anything else worth noting about either?

Thanks!

- Jim

#13 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Nothing absorbs vibration like wood. My old wood tripod on the Vixen Polaris is quite steady.

The Berlebach definitely looks like a place to go- though apparently you need to oil it yourself.

With that said, the Eagle pier is in the "What is this 'vibration' you speak of?" territory.

-Rich

#14 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Between the Rob Miller and the Berlebach Planet what are the relative advantages and disadvantages? I figure that the Berlebach will dampen well, but be heavier than the Rob Miller. True? Anything else worth noting about either?

Thanks!

- Jim

From what I can see, the Rob Miller weighs 22 pounds. The Berlebach PLANET weighs 24.25 pounds.

#15 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Rob Miller Tri36L (for the Mach 1)weighs 8lbs without the foot levelers and about 11lbs with them.

#16 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

We don't know what scope is being used on this mount, I think the Planet would be great if you like wooden tripods, I do and it's the best one I've ever seen. It's only about 20 pounds without the wood tray, and it collapses down into a small package.

I have not tried the other tripods on the list, but I would assume they're a little more stable than the Planet and take longer to set up as well. Yes, wood absorbs vibration, but steel and aluminum are more rigid.

The Planet is extremely easy to set up, just a few hand knobs to turn, snap the tray into place, and you're good to go.

I use a 160mm apo on the Mach1/Planet for visual and it's great. but it's a somewhat heavy and long scope; if I was going to load up one end with a heavy camera I'd probably get the Eagle or Losmandy HD tripod.

You know if you like the wood tripods, to me there's something intangible at work, I love the Planet with its gorgeous ash wood and huge tray right under the middle. I used the AP wood tripod for many years and the Planet blows it away in terms of quality, design elegance, and stability.

#17 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

AP eagle pier. It's like being rooted to the earth. And even comes in a transport case.

-Rich

It comes with it for an extra $259/350 ;)

#18 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I chose the Planet in Nutwood Brown because of the classic beauty - but also the height adjustability. Wow is that a useful feature! I added an Eagle Pier extension to mine and its an awesome setup.

#19 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

There is another wooden tripod to consider: the Baader hardwood tripod. AP sells these as well. Or is that the one you mentioned with "AP Berlecach"?

I have one for more then 14 years now and fits 100% for my purpose. Heavy, yes but also very durable.

#20 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

G11 tripod/piers work very well, and are readily available used for way cheaper. I use it for my 900 now and have a friend that uses it with his ASA DDM85. But if money is no object.................

#21 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

A Rob Miller tripod was just posted on Astromart.

#22 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'll take a look DeanS thanks for the headsup!

#23 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

There is another wooden tripod to consider: the Baader hardwood tripod. AP sells these as well. Or is that the one you mentioned with "AP Berlecach"?

I have one for more then 14 years now and fits 100% for my purpose. Heavy, yes but also very durable.

Looks like AP has replaced this w/ the Berlebach Planet, check out their website

#24 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Scott, you are right. The Baader is replaced by the Berlebach. Didn't notice.

#25 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Scott, you are right. The Baader is replaced by the Berlebach. Didn't notice.

I imagine you could still order them from Europe, but the shipping will be costly.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics