Photo

Help sought on tripod foot pads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coconuts

Coconuts

Lift Off

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Hi. I keep a 110 mm ED refractor on an Astro-Tech Voyager mount and tripod at a Caribbean vacation home that we leave in short-term rental. The guests really like having the telescope available for both day and night use, but since they are always moving it out on the deck and back in again, I have an issue with the unprotected metal tips scratching our fairly soft Saltillo tile floors. Does anyone make protective foot pads that would address this? Traditional disconnected vibration pads such as those from Meade or Celestron won't work, since guests wouldn't use them. The pads would have to press on to or otherwise attach to the feet. If I have to, I could pot the base of each foot in a castable silicone, but I would prefer to buy a set of feet. Thanks, and if anyone's interested, you can see the scope (Orion 110 mm f/7 ED) in the attached photo, and near the last of the photos on our web site: www.coconutsvilla.com (that railing was removed and a lower deck added in our subsequent renovations). The skies are pretty dark there, and Sagittarius rides high (18 degrees latitude), so perhaps viewers will consider renting Coconuts. I keep a homemade 12.5" scope in locked owner's storage; collimating it is more than casual guests could deal with. Access could be arranged for ATM's.

Kevin

Attached Files

#2 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

If you're willing to drill & tap your tripod's feet:

Swivel leveling mounts from McMaster Carr. The versions with acetal feet are non-marring. If the tripod feet are aluminum, I'd avoid the stainless steel varieties - IIRC stainless can react with aluminum in a high-humidity/salt environment.

#3 Coconuts

Coconuts

Lift Off

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

I found a solution. I had our contractor send me a photo of the tripod feet, and the Voyager tripod happens to be the same as a Sphinx tripod/mount that I keep here at home. Four screws release each of the pointed aluminum feet, which I mill mill down to flat, and then screw on a piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.25" UHMW polyethylene 90 degree angle from McMaster Carr. That will definitely be floor friendly.
Kevin

#4 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

:waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics