• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hey guys,

I have found that I do better sketching with my narrow FOV Orthos than with my Naglers. I seem to have an issue with spacing/placement of stars with the naglers. Anyone else experience this issue? It may be that I am still new at this.

Jason

#2 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I use mostly Plössls for planetary work and for moon. Sharpness on axis is slightly better in comparision to Naglers, the contrast is noticeably better.
I like the Meade series 4000. They have very less scattered light.

#3 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I only have one brand of eyepieces, the cheap kit from Zhumell Plossl. Get's the job done though. I notice I like try to get just the object in frame if possible, as much zoom as I can apply without removing too much detail from the DSO.

#4 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

I also prefer my 65° Vixen LVW with long eye relief, over 82° explore scientifics. It's much more comfortable, and easy to see whole field of view (without having to move my head).

I hate sketching with plossls though, due to their short eye relief. IMHO Comfort during sketching is the most important parameter.

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have Naglers. Pro: good correction in my f/4 and the object stays long time in view (dobson, hand tracking). Contra: I can't see the edge of the FOV in one time and this makes it not easy to sketch a field of stars. For that reason: if I should buy a new EP, it's gonna be a Delos.

#6 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have Naglers. Pro: good correction in my f/4 and the object stays long time in view (dobson, hand tracking). Contra: I can't see the edge of the FOV in one time and this makes it not easy to sketch a field of stars. For that reason: if I should buy a new EP, it's gonna be a Delos.

That is probably the hardest part for me too.. drawing the field of stars with the larger FOV.

I will probably be building an EQ platform over the winter or in the spring so that I can use my dobsonians more for sketching than the SCT (it tracks). Plus, I plan to image with the SCT and then while imaging, sketching something else..

(Am I allowed to mention imaging in this forum? :grin:)

Jason

#7 mike73

mike73

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Plymouth

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Completely agree Jef.
I had a ethos for a while and although its a great EP it was terrible to use while sketching.

#8 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I have found that I do better sketching with my narrow FOV Orthos than with my Naglers.

It is normal. (1) Wide field with 0 angular distorsion (like in Nagler) require from your eye and brain convertation of sperical image to plane one. It is not easy. (2) For right representation of you impression (perspective) you should see borders of your sketch at the same angle as adges of field stop diaphragm. It is much easy to achive using ep with narrow AFOV (when small sketch area you put at normal distance of drawing). (3) Nagler filed of view is much more reach in details then Plossl/Orthos it is just hard to catch all of them on your sketch...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics