Photo

Anyone interested in an observing log app?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmandell

jmandell

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I am thinking about putting together an app that would allow you to keep a record of your observations. It would probably have different formats for logs such as by date, or keep a record of cataloges, etc. If I were feeling ambitious I might add finder charts for the Messiers and some bright NGCs. I might try to put in a way to sketch. I might have a way to correlate eyepieces and telescopes, etc.

Any interest in something like this? If I were to do this it probably would be out in a year or so. It would of course have a red mode for night vision.

Any suggestions?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

If by "app" you mean iOS app, yes, go for it. I'd sure use it.

#3 jmandell

jmandell

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

iOS, android, etc.

#4 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'd be interested. One feature I'd like to see is a way to auto date/time/location stamp my observations. Maybe even incorporate voice recording, too.

#5 Thomas Pfleger

Thomas Pfleger

Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'd really appreciate a logging app using the <OpenAstronomyLog> standard format. I'd like to use an app on the iPad and later be able to exchange the data with my desktop planner. Sooner or later my plan is to build something compatible with <OAL>, but currently I'm lacking time. To me the HTML5/CSS/Javascript approach is most promising. Native apps are great, but I do not know what devices we will have in 5 years, but I guess W3C standards will still be important then. The most important aspect to consider when building a logging app is the data format. I have collected 1500+ observations electronically and several hundreds on paper. This is a valuable asset and I still want to be able to use/access it in 20 years from now. Or share it today. Sharing requires some negotiation of a format...

I would not recommend a user defined or free logging format. While it seems to offer a lot of flexibility at first glance, one soon will recognize that exchanging or collecting data in an unstructured manner is a not so good idea.

Tom

#6 pscharff

pscharff

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Windows Phone 7.5/8 support would be great, too.

Patric

#7 Matt2893

Matt2893

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: ChicagoLand

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I ran across this app.
But is seems to be unavailable now...
http://ideas.water-p...om/observation/
It boasts some nice features, such as pulling in current conditions, and data export.
I'd like something like this...

#8 Bas van Krieken

Bas van Krieken

Vendor - FOViewer

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Have a look at StarLog in the Play store :)

Or even better, try it here in your browser!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics