http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sC88sPcqsOo

Let the wild speculation begin.

#2 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

The YouTube clip says that it will be released in November, 2012 - Just in time for Christmas! Ergonomically, it looks well made. Probably will ditch the anemic tripod. I hope it will exhibit a low PE...

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Looks good. They took a few design hints from iOptron.

I think the fundamental periodic error will be OK. The bigger challenge is the gears. If they still use a stepper drive like the EQ6, the gearing should be simple and the periodic error due to the gears should be low.

#4 kwjohnson

kwjohnson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

How long might it take for a product like this to show up in the US with Celestron or Orion? Or is there no guarantee of that?

APM had an announcement in the vendor forum a couple weeks back. They're showing a price of 1890 euros including VAT.

#5 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Is there any reason to believe that this isn't just a reconfigured Atlas? I mean, with the same motors, gears, mechanics, and such?

Not that there's anything wrong with that - I think every GEM should reach 0 and 90.

#6 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Anyone with general comments on the makers/brand, the product range of mounts. One dealer I spoke with spoke highly of the EQ6 given the price. I guess the Atlas is the same. Thanks for any reports, I really like the looks of this and may take a bite!

#7 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Check the other thread here

http://www.cloudynig...5487993/page...

I posted the announced spec....it does have steppers and encoders.

#8 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

The Canadian Skywatcher site, ca.skywatcher, has this posted now with a price. No info on ship date.

#9 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Preliminary review by a shop in Australia.

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT

#10 NickK-UK

NickK-UK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

The encoder feedback is rather coarse: 6356 count (or 25424 ticks)/360 degrees (which is approx. 3.4 arc-min resolution) for push to. Note: 6356 = 2x2x7x227 so most likely the encoder is a Renishaw magnetic tape based.

Interesting good enough for goto but not really good enough for imaging.

I looked at using a mouse laser sensor with 5000 ticks/inch and a 8" ring - better but given you need a 10x sample rate to get better accuracy.. still beats this through!

#11 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I believe it it is still using the classic synscan microstep system for goto and tracking, just like the classic atlas.I suspect the encoders are just am extra "borrowed" from the Dobson goto telescopes of SW.Today I had the chance to see this mount at the shop here in Rome.it gave me a nice impression..so nice that I was about to order it instead of the bulkier Cgem dx.I might still do it..but as I am interested for imaging ...I' m a little afraid to pull the trigger on such a new product.On the other hand...the dealer said it is essentially an Modified EQ6 ..so ..it should be pretty safe I guess even for dso imaging in equatorial mode. I tried the altidute bolt..it is really smooth. The ra and dec clutches also are pretty well made and handy.The head itself seems a little smaller but..I think it is an optical illusion..it's still weights near 16 kgs...If I do the madness to order it i will update with a post ;)
Ps: I am sorry for the weird typing....me and the tablet are not very good friends. :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics