CGE Mount Issues..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hey everyone,
I have been mount-less for a few months now due to the motor in my CGE decided to die on me. Just be able to get the money to but the motor. Why the mount was down I thought this would be a good time to go ahead and crack it open and re-grease it with some super-lube. I got the motor and installed it the other day but now I have some major back lash issue I believe. When I goto slew the mount I can hold the arrow down for like 3 seconds b4 it start to move in that direction. Would that be backlash? I'm using the same spacers as before. Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks in Advance..
Ralph

#2 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Backlash is gear tooth to gear tooth distance. If you are trying to slew (meaning higher speed than centering or guiding) and it isn't moving for a while, that is nit a mechanical issue. What Rate are you using? It should display the number in the corner when you are slewing.

#3 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ralph:

If you mount has the plastic shims for the worm block, they were probably stacked - mine had one thick and several very thin shims, stuck together with grease. First, I'd suggest loosening the worm block bolts, then push the block toward the wheel gear while retightening those bolts. If that doesn't reduce the backlash, I'd loosen the worm block and remove the thinnest shim from both sides. Push the block toward the wheel gear, retighten the block bolts.
There's also the possibility that the motor spur gear is not concentric with the motor shaft; at one point in its revolution, it will not mesh tightly with the worm spur. However, that gap is taken up quickly when slewing, and wouldn't cause a 3 second delay.

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

When you put the worm block back into the mount you need to push it tightly up against the the housing while tightening the bolts underneath. If you don't the gap between the two will open up increasing the backlash. What I do is use a long screwdriver as a lever to push the worm block upward while tightening the bolts below. As suggested, if the backlash is still too large, then try removing one of the spacers from each side and tightening again. If you need to experiment with the spacer thickness, you can use materials like aluminum foil and clear plastic packaging material as a substitute for actual spacing material.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics