CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Metal ETX OTA's? (no not from Meade)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Escher's post re the Terrabeam/Wegat/"white tube" ETX 125 OTA got me to :question:

Having one of those, I can appreciate its study and ergonomic metal build quality.
I also have a 90 ota and have just received a used 105 ota (have not tested it yet).
A fellow by the name of Ken Dauzat (aka Ken's Rings & Things) would have an answer to this question, but he is has retired I believe.
I am wondering who could do a custom rebuild of the back ends of my 90 & 105 ota's to "Wegat" quality, then realign, etc.?

#2 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would think that its a relatively trivial issue - hear me out.

I would imagine that Jim was having the rear cells CNC machined based on a custom design - most likley something he developed.

*IF* he is no longer interested in selling the scopes... maybe he would be willing to part with the design files. Then it would just be a matter of having several of the cells machined and anodized by a custom shop.

Most likley, the design could be scaled to work with the 90 and 105 versions as well, assuming the mechanics and relative sizes are similar.

I could easily see someone developing "retrofit kits" for the ETX line.

#3 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Sounds good to me

#4 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'll drop him a line unless someone here knows him better... I'm just the pest who keeps emailing him about his sale... ;)

Edit: Just sent him an email - I'll let you know what I hear back..

#5 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Update:

Well - it would appear the Mr. Wegat is not interested in discussing the issue - no response to my emails. I know they are going through because he responded previously. He may just be busy. But thus far, No dice.

On a more positive note - If I can get some things sold, I may take on the task myself. I have an ETX90 and my Terabeam ETX125. I can pretty easily scale the design down and give it a shot.

This is dependent upon if my 10" scope sells and I can find a mini milling machine locally.

I'll keep you apprised... if I get the funds I definitely plan to give it a try. The only difference will be that I will not be adding a 2" SCT thread... I wont have the ability to thread the adapter... so I plan to just add a 1.25" extension and that can then accept a standard diagonal.

#6 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Update #2:

Jim got back with me last night - he has been tied up with other projects and apologized for the delay in responding.

He said he will make the adapters available - and that I should forward along anyone who is interested to him.

At this point, he only has the ETX125 with standard Schmidt threads.

If anyone is interested send me a PM and I will get you his contact info.

He has been investigating the smaller scopes as well and just has not been able to devote a lot of time to the development.

#7 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

He said he will make the adapters available - ...

Sorry, what adapters :question:

#8 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I should have said the rear cells...

#9 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

rear cells...

For the 90mm? :shocked:

#10 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I dont know that he has it designed yet - but he said he was working on it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics