Disassembling an Orion ED80T-CF

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

• Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

If I ever decide to clean some small marks I found on the inner surface of the lens, it is possible to separate the cell from the carbon fiber tube? I know that it is very important NOT to separate the individual triplet lens inside the cell, but I am talking about separating the cell from the tube. Does somebody know how to do it without breaking something?

#2 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

You might consider a pure cotton ball that is taped on the
end of a wood stick that is inserted from the focuser forward to the inner objective surface. I lightly spritz the
cotton ball with cleaning solution. Cotton and tape are inexpensive, so I change it out after each pass. If you think
dust is on the inner surface, then I wouldn't recommend it.
I've used it to remove lint and light sleeks/marks.
Wes

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Leave it alone, people are completely obsessed with every minor mark on optics which are for the most part insignificant,I knew a guy who fretted and complained about a minor mark on the inside of a scope objective, eventually he pulled it apart doing damage then managed to scratch the glass cleaning it,try this as an experiment, next time your out observing put a finger end in the light path at the objective, small finger say 1/4" in, odds are you won't be able to detect it,DA.

#4 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Well, it's true, maybe I should leave them alone...

However, I am curious. Looking at my scope, it looks like the dew shield needs to be disassembled from one side before doing anything. The problem with CF tubes is that you risk damaging the screws...

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

If it's anything like my WO scopes, I believe the sliding dewshield is first removed by screwing it off the ring. When you have the dewshield off you will be able to see the lens cell mounting screws.

#6 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I agree, leave it alone. :waytogo:

Bill

#7 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I just noticed some small fungus marks (about a quarter inch) in the edge of the middle element, out of my reach. How can this be removed?

#8 charen

charen

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

The best advice is to leave it there. I have ruined 2 x lenses by chipping them in an attempt to disassemble and clean them. However, the problem is that you will 'know' it is there and if you have even slightest obsessive personality like me it will annoy you and it will keep on annoying you.
The obsession is wanting to do it and the compulsion is acting on that obsession.
The desire to clean it will become strong and you will lie awake at night thinking about it, so against all sound and sensible advice you will end up cleaning it either professionally or reading up on how to do it yourself correctly.
If you attempt to clean it yourself and destroy the lens, well you will learnt from your mistake and you will have ignored the sound advice not to do it in the first place. So please ignore my obsessive advice and listen to the sensible advice. [If you can :lol:]

Chris

#9 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

The best advice is to leave it there. I have ruined 2 x lenses by chipping them in an attempt to disassemble and clean them. However, the problem is that you will 'know' it is there and if you have even slightest obsessive personality like me it will annoy you and it will keep on annoying you.
The obsession is wanting to do it and the compulsion is acting on that obsession.
The desire to clean it will become strong and you will lie awake at night thinking about it, so against all sound and sensible advice you will end up cleaning it either professionally or reading up on how to do it yourself correctly.
If you attempt to clean it yourself and destroy the lens, well you will learnt from your mistake and you will have ignored the sound advice not to do it in the first place. So please ignore my obsessive advice and listen to the sensible advice. [If you can :lol:]

Chris

Man, you are making it difficult for me! :lol: I was thinking of calling Orion ASAP to see if they have "cleaning services". I already called OPT and they don't have one... So yeah OC disorder is alive and well!

I could leave it alone... or maybe I could get a UV lamp? :tonofbricks:

#10 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

I changed the subject to make it more clear what the problem is, and that is not specific to my scope model.

Doing some research, it looks like while UVC light would be lethal to fungus (and germs and other nasty stuff), the glass is almost opaque to this light wavelength, so the light cannot get to the middle element where the fungus is located. In the meantime, I ordered some 1.25" dessicant plugs for my scopes and a dehumidifier for the room where I store them.

You think that should help?

#11 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just to limit my liability all I'll say is that the key to getting at the lens cell is figuring out how to detach the sliding dew shield, the rear 'ring' of the shield(part towards focuser) is held on by glue drops. Once removed a lot becomes far more simple to see and understand. The cell has 4 'sets' of screws one for each element approx 90* opposing. The cell itself screws into/onto the CF tube.

#12 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just to limit my liability all I'll say is that the key to gttting at the lens cell is figuring out how to detach the sliding dew shield, the real 'ring' of the shield(part towards focuser) is held on by glue drops. Once removed a lot becomes far more simple to see and understand. The cell has 4 'sets' of screws one for each element approx 90* opposing. The cell itself screws into/onto the CF tube.

Thanks a lot! Did you disassemble yourself your scope? If so, were you able of reassemble the lens back together without problems?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics