Photo

LXD 75 Mount Support from Meade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vanwebster

vanwebster

Lift Off

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Meade has run out of RA drive assemblies and will not be supporting the LXD 75 mount from this time on. For LXD 75 owners, this means that if your motor or drive circuit card dies, your only resource is the secondary (used) parts markets. Their failure to continue to support the LXD 75 by Meade is the death knell of this product. Take care of the one you have.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

That's too bad. My LXD75s are getting a lot of miles on them. When they finally die I'll be ready to upgrade. "See honey, now I gotta have a new mount! This one's broke and they don't fix'm no more."

Shhhhhh, nobody tell her that you can buy a mount without a telescope attached...

#3 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Can you buy a new motor from electronics dealer? does anyone know what motor is on the Lx75? I know it's attached to the motor controller board which would have to be removed from the board and re-attached. If the specs was known about the motor maybe a replacement could be found?

http://www.alibaba.c...ric-motors.html

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

The problem is not the motor as those rarely go bad. The problem is the motor board. The only way to get the motor board has been to by the entire motor assembly from Meade but now those will apparently no longer be available.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sometimes you can find vendors on eBay that are parting out scopes. I recall one vendor that seemed to specialize in parting out ETX's.

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Way to go, Meade!

-Rich

#7 Peter D.

Peter D.

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central New York

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

You could fix the board as long as components are available.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

You could fix the board as long as components are available.

Yep. But you have to know how to troubleshoot and repair electronics and solder on PCBs, which not everybody knows and which not everybody wants to know. And if there is a PROM that's bad you are sunk without being able to get one from the Meadesters. ;)

Best bet? Be careful with the power to your mount. Use a battery.

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yep. But you have to know how to troubleshoot and repair electronics and solder on PCBs, which not everybody knows and which not everybody wants to know. And if there is a PROM that's bad you are sunk without being able to get one from the Meadesters. ;)

Generally, the driver MOSFETs go south. They can be replaced if you can rework SMD and they haven't burnt up too much territory when they fry. But as Rod points out if the fault is in the PICMicro microprocessor there's no fix without Meade's proprietary code.

I have a couple here and the Dec drive is bad, I'm going to see if a DS2000 mainboard will drive them. Lots of busted DS2000s around to donate organs. The major hurdle is the LXD's high frequency encoder output. The DS2Ks single processor might not be up to the task. It does work with the LX200 drives, which have an even higher frequency. Quiet slew will also reduce the frequency somewhat. We'll see.

Attached Files

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like a cool project, George.

For most of us? The 75 wasn't that expensive to begin with, and if you've gotten some years out of it, it's served well. If one cannot be repaired, there's always the very similar CG5.

#11 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

LXD55's have same drives, are cheaper thus can be sacrificed for parts.

Alex

#12 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

.. if you can still get an LXD55 with its motors intact..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics