Photo

Making Database Observation App - NEED INPUT!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'm using my new c# skills from work to make a access/database GUI app. I will lay out some particular implementations that I have decided on adding and a few extras that would come after a working product is achieved.

- Create database to store all observing session by number and date
- Search all function for searching any catagory... object, date, etc
- Keep track of Pictures/Sketches by digital upload with viewer so sketchers/astrophotograhy people can use it

I hope to ...

- link a given object to all other names M objects, NGC, IC...
-Backup every session in Excel format for ease of viewing and backup safety

I need Ideas!!! This software will be compiled and uploaded on this thread in the future for anyone to use free of charge.

Any ideas, input, or things I left out would be very helpful. I would like to build the basic GUI before I delve into the real coding if possible.

I could start with some input on what particular entries a standard log has. So far for each session I have...

-seeing, transparency, date, location, name, general notes

and for each object...

object name, object number, description, magnification, future notes, ...

Thanks

#2 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Why not use something like MS Access, SQL Express, MySQL or even just Excel by itself?

#3 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

A nicer product for one that shouldn't be difficult to use. Since I have never used Access before I couldn't tell you if it can do everything I plan to do.

-Store pictures and view them?
-Keep track of how many objects were observed in each list?
-Check off objects that were observed from a list ex (herschell 400)
-generate a nice report in xls format

etc

#4 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Admin, could I get this thread transferred over to software section? I realize I could gain a lot more interest and ideas there. If not, I can restart it.

Thanks!

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'll transfer it for you.

#6 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

If your database is going to be embedded in the application, it might be more compact (and higher performance) to use sqlite3 rather than Access. Also using a language like Python rather an c# will allow it to be cross-platform.

Ah, never mind on Python, I read again and I see the motivation for c#.

This link sends you to a tutorial on embedding sqlite3 in a c# application with a Metro interface.

#7 Thomas Pfleger

Thomas Pfleger

Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

Hi,

I suggest that you have a look at the <OpenAstronomyLog> XML format designed to exchange observations. There is everything in that you will probably "invent" for yourself. If you work on a software, the <OpenAstronomyLog> project members (including myself) would appreciate if you support this format.

In my own software, I use the MS Access database format for persistence because on a Windows machine it requires no extra setup during installation. ADO is included in Windows since XP. Using it with C# should cause no problems. If I would consider using another database, it should require no setup by the user of the program.

Greetings from another bass player (Kubicki Factor 4 string fretless, Status Energy 5 string) ;-)

Tom

#8 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for all suggestions so far. I'm not sure about some of those mentioned software and databases. One reason I chose the access database was for flexibility and backup considerations for anyone who uses the software and then would stop or have an issue with it. I'm not a genius developer in visual studio.

Needless to say, I've made good progress in being able to get data in and view it back out in the program. I have a good search and search all routine for searching through any of the criteria. My next step will be adding an exportable form and uploading images. I'll check out that XML form also as it sounds interesting. I've no real experience in xml though! I've added functionality to add all your equipment into a separate database in order to make selection and input of observations easier and more exact.

Maybe soon I can upload a few pictures or a beta version if anyone is interested.

P.S. Musicman Stringray 4 string :)

#9 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

By the way, does anyone know where a list that shows all NGC, IC, Messier, etc objects and their duplicates? I've not found a good way to select one object and have the software automatically recognize the duplicates.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics