• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Not sure what you're referring to as "their weakness" Alph but if you mean absolute homing isn't the bee's knees you have no idea why it's there and why it's important.

#27 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi Ray,

I guess you didn't know that the ASCOM Sky Controlled telescope driver allows you to use pretty much the same "any" planetarium software to drive the mount or perhaps forgot to mention it.

I'm not a big fan of The Sky X but since it's included with the Paramounts and more or less required to take advantage of the great feature set present I have to run it. But for the most part I continue to use GUIDE9 as my planetarium interface via the ASCOM driver and to a lesser degree the observatory control interface in MaximDL while taking full advantage of the included TPoint plugin. TSX is growing on me and has some pretty neat features so I could see myself using more as I get more comfortable.

Clear skies,
Bill

Kiet,

Tightly integrated software and hardware has advantages and disadvantages. Astro-Physics mounts were designed to be compatible with Astronomy applications through its ASCOM driver. You are not restricted to any one planetarium program so you can mostly pick and choose the applications you want to use, include Software Bisque applications.

-Ray Gralak

#28 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

I use (actually used) both and it doesn't matter mount I drive, TPoint gives far better pointing results than MaxPoint.

And there's ProTrack included with the SB suite. TPoint and ProTrack are far, far superior in my experience. Much quicker to get a model, polar alignment is way ahead, and unguided subs of 300" at over 2m fl with an older C9.25 is pretty compelling.

Clear skies,
Bill

To give an idea of how well this all works try and get to see a fully automated T-point run in the SkyX. Single button click in a single app will perform goto / photograph / analyze / model on hundreds of stars to get an accurate pointing model. I did this in central London and it still worked perfectly.

You can accomplish the same with MaxPoint, MaximDL, and any ASCOM driven mount.

#29 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hi Bill,

First, I'm guessing you are mistaking me for Kiet. I never said anything about Paramounts and TheSky. I was only talking about AP mount features without specific reference to any other mounts.

Second, since you brought it up, if you use another planetarium program with the mount you mentioned don't you still have to run TheSky? If that's true then I'll let others decide if the extra overhead of running two planetarium programs simultaneously is an advantage (or not) of tight integration of hardware and software.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

I guess you didn't know that the ASCOM Sky Controlled telescope driver allows you to use pretty much the same "any" planetarium software to drive the mount or perhaps forgot to mention it.

I'm not a big fan of The Sky X but since it's included with the Paramounts and more or less required to take advantage of the great feature set present I have to run it. But for the most part I continue to use GUIDE9 as my planetarium interface via the ASCOM driver and to a lesser degree the observatory control interface in MaximDL while taking full advantage of the included TPoint plugin. TSX is growing on me and has some pretty neat features so I could see myself using more as I get more comfortable.

Clear skies,
Bill

Kiet,

Tightly integrated software and hardware has advantages and disadvantages. Astro-Physics mounts were designed to be compatible with Astronomy applications through its ASCOM driver. You are not restricted to any one planetarium program so you can mostly pick and choose the applications you want to use, include Software Bisque applications.

-Ray Gralak

#30 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think I am right in saying that the larger AP mounts have homing ?

No, unless you buy absolute encoders. It is beyond my comprehension why A-P decided not to provide homing sensors. A $3000 or so declination encoder on the AP1600 does not improve guiding or tracking in declination. It's sole purpose is to provide homing or pointing recovery capabilities

You can get homing sensors for the 3600 without the encoders.

Second, there are some advantages to declination encoders. You can use them for better unguided tracking of fast moving satellites, asteroids, and comets. You can also use them to detect and remove dec backlash.

Of course, using the absolute encoders on both axes on the 1600GTO is the holy grail of mount positioning. You don't need home switches at all because with the absolute encoders the mount position is always known.

-Ray

#31 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi Ray,

Nope, that's why I quoted your reply! Respectfully Ray, the thread IS titled "Paramount ME Discontinued".

I read your same reply as an implied caveat and was simply pointing out that there is an ASCOM driver (The Sky controlled telescope) that allows one to take advantage of the features offered by the tight integration of mount and software that *is* the Paramount while using whatever planetarium software the user prefers.

Not sure how to reply to your second point as I assume it's a bit leading but yeah, you have the idea. I personally don't carry a laptop around that isn't older than a couple of years so no problem and have used six year old CF-29s in this manner without a hitch. If there's a problem I'd guess it would be with the ASCOM driver (not a stretch) but the Bisque boys and crew do respond pretty quickly to requests for features and bug reports. On their end that is- ASCOM stuff is what it is.

Just trying to clear up things for someone who might be reading this a few months down the road. Feel free to PM me if need be, not trying to stir things up.

Clear skies,
Bill

Hi Bill,

First, I'm guessing you are mistaking me for Kiet. I never said anything about Paramounts and TheSky. I was only talking about AP mount features without specific reference to any other mounts.

Second, since you brought it up, if you use another planetarium program with the mount you mentioned don't you still have to run TheSky? If that's true then I'll let others decide if the extra overhead of running two planetarium programs simultaneously is an advantage (or not) of tight integration of hardware and software.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Clear skies,
Bill

Kiet,

-Ray Gralak

#32 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi Bill,

Sorry, despite the thread title, in your original quote of my post I don't see where I said anything specific about any mount except Astro-Physics mounts. I only responded to the post because there was mention of AP mount software... and only because I have some experience with that.

And for those reading this in a few months -- AP mounts don't need *any* planetarium programs to run ASCOM software applications. And if you choose to use a planetarium program you just need one and you can pick any one you like.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Nope, that's why I quoted your reply! Respectfully Ray, the thread IS titled "Paramount ME Discontinued".

I read your same reply as an implied caveat and was simply pointing out that there is an ASCOM driver (The Sky controlled telescope) that allows one to take advantage of the features offered by the tight integration of mount and software that *is* the Paramount while using whatever planetarium software the user prefers.

Not sure how to reply to your second point as I assume it's a bit leading but yeah, you have the idea. I personally don't carry a laptop around that isn't older than a couple of years so no problem and have used six year old CF-29s in this manner without a hitch. If there's a problem I'd guess it would be with the ASCOM driver (not a stretch) but the Bisque boys and crew do respond pretty quickly to requests for features and bug reports. On their end that is- ASCOM stuff is what it is.

Just trying to clear up things for someone who might be reading this a few months down the road. Feel free to PM me if need be, not trying to stir things up.

Clear skies,
Bill

Hi Bill,

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Clear skies,
Bill

Kiet,

-Ray Gralak

#33 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Ok guys..this is a thread about the ME being discontinued and its replacement, not a comparo thread. Let's get it back on topic.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics