Catalina State Park, 11-3-2012

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Once again the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association will be helping Catalina State Park on Oracle with a night under the stars on Saturday night, November 3, our third CSP event of the year. We'll have somewhere between six and a dozen astronomers signed up to support over 200 visitors as we try to perform our environmental awareness function. I'll be doing a short talk at sundown and a short walk around the sky at dusk, then it will be off to the eye candy.

The goal will be to not only expose the visitors to wonders of the night sky, but to also stress the importance of maintaining and reclaiming the night sky. If any of you are in the area, drop on in. These gatherings tend to generate a lot of conversation and exposure to the cosmology of our universe, but the protection of the night sky as well.

#2 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi Jim.....

Great to hear from you, and looking forward again on your report for both the talk and walk in Catalina State Park .....

And hopefully , the week after, when I get back to my Oct star gazing trip, I can have good sky like yours.......

Regards

James Ling

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

The State of Arizona Parks is aggresively supporting night sky events to raise the public awareness of the importance of protecting the night sky. Not to eliminate light, but to use it wisely.

As do many of the participants here on Cloudy Nights, we both enjoy the privilege of opening eyes and minds to the night sky. I happen to be fortunate that most of my events are not terribly affected by human light sources. What you are able to do in your environment is amazing, and brings such awakenings to your audience. All of you who show the night sky under city lights provide such a valuable service to your visitors!

Arizona State Parks Astronomy Events

#4 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi Jim....

I am sure you already have plan for this coming Catalina State Park event......
Is just one more week to go......

Not sure how is the weather over at your side, whereas over here now is our year end monsoon raining season.....

REgards

James Ling

#5 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Our monsoon tends to run from late June until late September. We've had some hit and run good and bad nights this month, so we're hoping we'll be back to our "wide open" skies by the time we gather for this event.

Hope you can stay dry!

#6 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Looks like I'll be there, this time. Don't know what I'll do besides "point and shoot," yet. Last one out, people were coming and going to fast to tell tales.

#7 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

Smaller crowd than some we've seen out there, but otherwise a fine night. I used a 4" refractor to show visitors M31 and the Pleiades. Club members with larger scopes gave views of M15 and the Ring Nebula, among other things. We seemed to make the right impression.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics