• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

This weekend I'm planning to purchase my very own CGEM-DX this will be my AP platform I just ordered an Autoguider with the Autoguider port which the DSI doesn't have. But I wanted your thoughts on what would be your TOP 10 accessories. I have a few small refractors 66mm 72mm and 80mm I plan on purchasing an RC 8" or RC 10" down the road.

#2 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

The anti vibration foot pads work well in preventing shaking as you walk around the mount. I also like the replacment knobs from ADMaccessories to replace the saddle knobs and the azimuth and altitude adjustment knobs.
If you want to have a variety of scopes on the mount ADm also makes a nice replacement saddle.
My final "accessory" was to get my cgem hypertuned by Ed Thomas.It is so much smoother now than it was before.

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

The anti vibration foot pads work well in preventing shaking as you walk around the mount.

For a CGEM DX? I've been told that the DX is too heavy for the anti-vibration pads.

#4 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Best thing I ever bought for my CGEM was a Atlas Half Pier (fits the CGEM/CGEM DX) and replacing the saddle and azimuth screws with ones from Scoptstuff. The 8" RC is a great match for this size mount.

#5 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Here are my top four:

1. Hand control extension cord - the stock cord is much too short. Either from scopestuff, or roll your own from monoprice.com (straight through 6p6c and a female to female connector - also straight through).

2. ADM dual saddle. I could not get a reliable balance with a Losmandy (D) dovetail and the stock saddle (it held the scope slightly off center). The ADM saddle fixed this issue and provided a much better fit for the dovetail.

3. Hypertune (either the DIY kit or full service from Ed at deepspaceproducts.com). The mount is so much smoother and easier to balance.

4. Pelican 1610 case. I used the shipping box for a few weeks, but it was a bear to lug around this way. The 1610 has wheels and a handle to roll it around - much easier and good protection.

Congrats on the mount!

Chris

#6 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

6" APO...

Knez

#7 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi,
I agree on the handbox extension cord, I need one myself. Its real short. But the mount is solid and great. I'm only 5'6" and my mounts about 5'4" set up at my latitude plus ota, so I use a 2 step stool when setting up to look at polaris.

#8 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

I didn't even think of the extension. I have one too and it is a must buy!

#9 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Chris
I placed a order for Hypertune.

The Pelican 1610 case did you use the foam that comes in the case or transfer the packing foam that is was shipped in? Also what all fit into the case do you have a photo. My thought is the mount to heavy for the soft foam that comes with the case?

Hand control extension cord seems to be a command requested item.

Jason
I was reading up on the RC8 vs RC10 and they recommend CGEM pro with it larger payload capacity So I think like you the RC8 is going to be a good match.

Anti-vibration pads how many of you use them with this mount?

#10 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Anti-vibration pads how many of you use them with this mount?

As I stated somewhere recently, I was advised by two different dealers that the CGEM DX is considerably too heavy for the anti-vibration pads and I'd have to agree.

#11 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

I too bought a pelican 1610 case.... Perfect

I decided I needed the ADM saddle knobs, as I got nervous with the narrow stock knobs, especially when they are frost or dew covered, and I'm trying to balance a heavy OTA while tightening.

I bought an ADM small dovetail adapter so I could use the mount for smaller scopes, like my solar Ha

I rigged up a couple LED lights up into the DX tripod head so they would shine down on the black EP tray. It's pretty handy.

I needed an extra 22lbs counter weight (2 total) for mounting a C14.

I don't use anti-vibe pads and have never felt the need. Of course I usually mount on dirt or sometimes asphalt.

Enjoy,
Dave

#12 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Dave

C14 that beast weights 40 plus have you noticed the any problems with the mount at that payload.

And on the Pelican case what fits in it do you remove the counter weight shaft and Did you reuse the packing foam the mount was shipped in? or the soft foam that they send with the case.

#13 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

As long as the C14 is well balanced, the CGEM DX does very well for visual. Slewing is fine, and goto is right on. I haven't tried AP with that combo as with my C11 with the CGEM DX, AP was already a struggle.

Regarding the pelican, everything above the tripod fits in there. The counter weight shaft as well as the conical weight between mount that the shaft screws into is removed. All fits in the case, except of course the counterweight donuts. I did not use the mount packing material. The pelican comes with all necessary padding, which needs to be carved to fit the mount. This is a popular combo, and I think everyone fits them in the same way.

#14 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Pick up my Mount today new CGEM-DX and new OTA RC 8" Astro-Tech rain rain go away!

Attached Files

#15 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Kevin,

Great looking setup... Congrats!

I finally have clear skies and am out trying to get a PEC run on the LX80. Most frustrating thing I've done in a long time!

#16 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Mike

Good luck on your run.
Weather still bad here. Astronomics grand opening was yesterday and they sold so many telescopes that we may have to build an Ark.

Set the mount up installed software see if I could control the mount with the computer all went well.oh I totally agree about Hc extension cord. I really like the fact the power cord screws into the jack to keep it from coming out great Ideal. The tripod on this beast is massive you just don't get it until you set one up. Its going to be a great foundation for AP platform.

Note I know of another Accessory its needs A HC holder!

#17 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Check your 8/3 error. If it is much report it to celestron and complain about the pec not being usable. Celestron has decided that it it not worth the effort to please the "few" users that would care. They say they are still going to work on the dec cogging issue.

#18 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Note I know of another Accessory its needs A HC holder!

Hi Kevin,

Don't worry - you already have one! Open the boxes that serve as filler between the foam holding the legs in the huge box that the tripod came in. Inside one of those filler boxes you'll find a beautiful HC holder. The holder fits on the tripod leg of your choice. Now for the bad news - the HC cord is so short that it won't reach the holder unless you get the extension cord from Scopestuff.

#19 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Check through the packing for the HC holder. It is an orange piece of aluminum with a black strap. It goes around one of the legs of the tripod and acts as a cradle for the HC. If I remember right it was buried in the packing somewhere (maybe on the back side of one of the foam inserts).

Great looking setup!!

Chris

#20 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi Kevin, yes its a beast. Its a very solid AP platform. Almost like a permanent pier. My rain stopped but will be back tomorrow. You should have a really nice holder for your handbox that looks like these pics below. Celestron provides a nice holder. Congratulations and enjoy your new CGEM DX.
neilson

Attached Files

#21 turtledude1

turtledude1

Explorer 1

• Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Beware of the 1610 case with CGEM DX if you invest in all the ADM toys because it won't fit, at least mine won't. I had to go to the Pelican iM2875 for mine. I'm changing everything to the Pelican cases. My Atlas EQ6 fits in the 1610, my CGE Pro polar mount fits like a glove in the 1610. The latitude plate and the electronics pier take the 1650 case. Anyway measure first and buy later.
All the add-ons mentioned are great, but here's a couple more. The ADM tripod knobs are awesome when making tiny final leveling adjustments, but make sure to get the ones for the CGE Pro because the regular CGEM knobs won't work. My second are the Robin Casady Stainless counterweights they look great, I added a pic of my CGE Pro with them. I have the 5#, 7.7# and the 15# weights for both mounts. With the 5# I can balance my WO Zenithstar 80mm APO which weighs 6 pounds.
All I hear about the DX is that you can't use small scopes with it, well I guess not if you use the only 22# weight Celestron offers DUH!!! Enjoy your DX it's a tank.

Russ

Attached Files

#22 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

TDM.. Plain and simple..

#23 TALK2KEV

TALK2KEV

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

very nice looking with SS counter weights I'm going to look into that , Thanks for the heads up on the pelican cases.

#24 shareef777

shareef777

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

very nice looking with SS counter weights I'm going to look into that , Thanks for the heads up on the pelican cases.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but which case did you go with?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics