• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

hello
does anyone know how to join the Meade Electronic Eyepiece to a Mac? and also what imaging capturing software id need...and is the eyepiece any good?
any help would be much appreciated.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's good enough for the Moon and maybe a low resolution image of a planet. As for the Mac, if I recall, the Meade outputs NTSC video, so you would need a frame grabber for your Mac.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

For Mac, try the cheapie (less than $10 shipped) DC60. <-- Search fleabay to get it. See this CN post.

Then use this free easycapviewer software.

About your third question...
I specifically picked the first two items to go with it. I hope you get it.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

Good for solar ca K Ha and white light

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Yeah, the ones that use low-end, very tiny CMOS IC doing the
all-in-one NTSC video, image sensor and combined signal processing functions as well as AGC only (i.e., no manual gain adjustment possibility) have challenges on most astro objects except very bright targets.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#6 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

the one i have has side contrast dial
here is Meade 902 with Lunt CaK and 90mm f/12

Attached Files

#7 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

This is a fun little camera. It does real well on my PST (though I no use a DMK21 on my PST). Below is a neat image I grabbed of Venus in daylight a few days before the transit of Venus (the one several years ago, not this most recent transit). The original monochrome image was colorized to make the sky blue. The real-time image was really neat. You could see all sorts of fritters and floaters flying through the field of view.

Attached Files

#8 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'll chime in to say that's it's a really neat little gadget; simple, single wire lead coming out of it, battery on board, and the manual contrast dial really works nicely especially on things like the full moon, you can dial it bring out alot of contrast on its shadow-less surface. I usually employ it for outreach (always an easy task to show Apollo 11 landing site, etc), and it'll even show a couple of bands on Jupiter with a hand-tracked 80mm scope with a 2x barlow; adjust the dial and you can expose for the Galilean moons. I don't use it for any captures though.

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Alright, I might have a mixed up the Orion's one (now can't find it in product catalog, probably discontinued) with another brand'd. Orion's (see http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00005QWZ4, also unavailable) does have manual gain control.

Anyway better used it on bright astro targets.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

gee thanks for all the great help regarding this question !!! you guys at cloudy nights are most helpful !!! only one other question...

For Mac, try the cheapie (less than $10 shipped) DC60. <-- Search fleabay to get it. See this CN post.

Then use this free easycapviewer software.

About your third question...
I specifically picked the first two items to go with it. I hope you get it.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

dear ccs_hello there seems to be a lot of dispute regarding the authenticity of the easy cap devices with cheap imitations etc. I'm in the uk and have asked a US friend to buy me one there...would you possibly have a reliable link to an authentic easy cap dc60?? there seems to be so may of them and not one available to buy here in britain. any help again would be great but i just want to say thank you for all the other great replies too.

#11 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Actually DC-60 authenticity is a goofy topic because you'll never get it the way you "think" what you'd like to get.

Actually, you need to get the one that is called DC60 with a very inexpensive price (less than $10, shipped to US, from China.)

eMPIA is famous but its not what youwant to get. You want to get the old one using STK1160, which has the older model number DC-60! It's the one that has the OSX device driver.
READ: buy cheap one, the DC-60.
STK1160 has the free MAC driver, others do not (or need $$ to buy the s/w driver as extra.) This is the secret.

Forget about what vendor feeds you: ezcap, easycap, new model number, cloned, not cloned, blue label, yellow label, with CD, without CD, better package, custom printed package label, custom brand name, blah blah, blah.
Buy DC60 for your OSX. Enough said.

With that sub-$10 price tag (shipping included), you'll not get the Philips SAA7113 but the clone GM7113 front-end but that is still fine.

Search eBay on DC-60 and find the cheapest one shipped to UK. Just a small amount of money to try it out.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#12 bhuvfe

bhuvfe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Or Amazon?
http://tinyurl.com/9bfyaqt

#13 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, probably that specific Amazon UK one too for Mac OSX.

STK1160 (supposed to be DC-60) based has these hints: cheap, description says (up to) Vista-32.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#14 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ok it's ordered ! Many thanks for help SBC

#15 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

ok so I've got the meade electronic eyepiece, the easy cap lead has arrive. any ideas on now how to get the darn thing to work???? I've been sitting here for hours and i just can't get nothing on my mac. the easy cap has four leads coming out of it...which one is to the eyepiece? and the above download link loads into the mac but doesn't seem to respond when the arrow goes to different commands ...any help would be most appreciated . !!! thanks SBC

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

The "eyepiece" output is an NTSC composite video. The EasyCap probably has composite video, S-Video, audio left and audio right connections. You'll likely need a simple RCA video cable - male to male. These usually have yellow ends and are very cheap. They came with most DVD players and other similar commercial audio/video devices. You can however use virtually any RCA style cable (audio for example).

I would try out your EasyCap device using a known good video signal (coming off of a DVD player or similar device) to make sure everything is working on your Mac.

What software are you using on the Mac for the video capture and display?

#17 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

SBC,

Always test the MEE to a video monitor first to verify the MEE and focus is working properly.
Your MEE may be the NTSC type thus your video monitor has to be dual standard (PAL and NTSC) capable, if you are in PAL countries.

Please use a composite video cable (both ends are RCA connectors), one end goes to capture dongle's "yellow" input and the other end connects to Meade Electronic Eyepiece.
The capture dongle's USB end connects to Mac.

Software wise, load the driver as I pointed out earlier. This makes video stream accessible from operating system.
Then use your favorite OSX video application to tap into that video feed.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#18 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

ok problem
1.i downloaded the easy cap viewer.with the meade and easy cap dongle in the first message that pops up is that it is not recognised.
2.secondly in easycap viewer i go to configure and the configure device menu is frozen.
thats as far as I've got.
3. i don't know if i have any video capture software on mac.any suggestions?
thanks sbc

#19 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

SBC

Sounds like you need to pop open the USB capture dongle's case to see exactly which type it is (see my link on the pictures provided.)

BTW, what version of OSX you are running and that's an Intel CPU based machine, right?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#20 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

I've got a Mac Book Pro 15 inch Core 2 Duo
Processor 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Attached Files

#21 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

you'll probably need to see the other side though right?

#22 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yes, the other side please.

P.S. GM7113 is teh video front-end
That tiny SOIC16 IC looks like a Cirrus Logic CS5430 Audio codec for stereo audio capture.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#23 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

ok second attempt-

Attached Files

#24 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon