• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

I go all the way to the East on Speedway, towards the Rincon Mountains. It is called the Douglas Springs Trailhead. Good dark sky site. Pretty well traveled road. NO facilities, but plenty of bushes. LOL It is my regular dark sky site.

And if you're into hiking, that's a REALLY good trail head. You can string togeher a hike well over 20 miles for a day jaunt :grin:

#27 RayM0506

RayM0506

Lift Off

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I go all the way to the East on Speedway, towards the Rincon Mountains. It is called the Douglas Springs Trailhead. Good dark sky site. Pretty well traveled road. NO facilities, but plenty of bushes. LOL It is my regular dark sky site.

And if you're into hiking, that's a REALLY good trail head. You can string togeher a hike well over 20 miles for a day jaunt :grin:

Yeah, Hiked all the way to the tree line in the Rincons from that trail head!

#28 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Rich, I think I have something that fits...
it is not real dark and the Whetstone Mtns are close...Kartchner Caverns State Park. Occasionally, Cochise Astronomy Club uses their parking lot. Their campgrounds have electricity. There are fees.

#29 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

That's an interesting idea. With an AP mount, you need to be ready to haul some heavy batteries if you can't get to ground power.

-Rich

#30 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Been in Tucson since about 1 today, shooting some Milky Way shots with cacti in them on the hotel property:-D

#31 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

That's when you know you're on vacation!

-Rich

#32 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Been in Tucson since about 1 today, shooting some Milky Way shots with cacti in them on the hotel property:-D

Getting Milky Way shots in the day? Daaaannnnggg, you're good!! ;)

I may try myself when I get there in a couple hours. But I'll wait until dark (to find out my hotel has the world's brightest floodlights)

#33 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Oh nononono!! I posted at 11pm LOL, I got sunburnt up at Kitt Peak today. Going to hit one of the golf greens here and maybe do some timelapse stuff. The hotel area is a 19.5ish SQM, my home is 20.4, the cacti make the shots though! Can't wait to hit Mount Lemmon tomorrow.

#34 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Oh, duh, I read it as 12:15 pm, not 12:15 am... lol, nevermind! See you tomorrow!

#35 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Well I was just heading out to do some pics again, then this huge centipede slithers into my room....I cut it in half with the chair and is still running around :-S it was about 3 inches long!

Then I make it out onto my patio and see this spider, redlight to white, I know what that red marking is on the belly. I call the front desk and they told me to leave it alone, they would send someone up. They send two guys, one to kill it an another to call 911 if he gets bit.

The two guys then proceed to tell me about some pigs with tusks and an attitude on the property, as well as scorpions and rattle snakes. Soooooooooooo, I miss my minus 30 temps, lets see what is on pay per view tonight!!!

Looking forward to the chilly temps on Mount Lemmon so all these things go to sleep and let me play.

#36 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Whoa- that was the full welcoming committee!

Generally the odd desert creatures aren't everywhere like that. I'm still looking for scorpions, but haven't found any, yet. The only bugs to bother me while observing have been giant roaches flying by. None of them have run into me- that would be when the screaming started.

Get a look outside, tonight- fairly good weather.

I think you'll like the drive up to Mt. Lemmon- nice scenery.

-Rich

#37 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Uh, we forgot to tell you about the local fauna? Coyotes, some skunks (not as common as in the mid-west and points east).

As far as flora goes; everything has thorns. Everything. Particularly nasty are the many flavors of Cholla. Avoid that at all costs!

#38 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

That's why I brought boots. Several pair of boots. I haaaatttteeee bugs.

I just heard the forecast for this weekend. I hope the predicted clouds don't show up... Do they show up for every astronomy con? Is it because a bunch of people are buying equipment so it has to be cloudy?

#39 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

...Particularly nasty are the many flavors of Cholla. Avoid that at all costs!

Ummm, yeah. Right through a brand-new pair of Levis. I won't go into overly gory detail, but removal involved wire cutters, pliers, and lots of blood and screaming.

Wherever jumping chollas are, I'm not.

#40 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well I was just heading out to do some pics again, then this huge centipede slithers into my room....I cut it in half with the chair and is still running around :-S it was about 3 inches long!

Then I make it out onto my patio and see this spider, redlight to white, I know what that red marking is on the belly. I call the front desk and they told me to leave it alone, they would send someone up. They send two guys, one to kill it an another to call 911 if he gets bit.

The two guys then proceed to tell me about some pigs with tusks and an attitude on the property,

The "pigs" are probably javelina (pronounce it "hav-e-LEEN-ah"), or peccaries. They're another one of our local desert fauna. In general, as long as you leave the wildlife alone, it will leave you alone.

If you have a chance, go to the Arizona/Sonora Desert Museum west of Tucson. It's more like a zoo featuring our local fauna and how it adapts to the harsh climate. The desert can be quite a fascinating place.

In the meantime, see you at the convention!

#41 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

That's why I brought boots. Several pair of boots. I haaaatttteeee bugs.

I just heard the forecast for this weekend. I hope the predicted clouds don't show up... Do they show up for every astronomy con? Is it because a bunch of people are buying equipment so it has to be cloudy?

I was in Norman OK for Astronomics grand opening. Over cast and rainy all day Saturday and into Sunday. :p

#42 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Speaking of javelina, centipedes...here is a link to Venomous Creatures of Arizona. (Guess where Tox Man works...)

Arizona Poison & Drug Info Center

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics