• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I have a CG-5 on the way and have a question about tracking with the mount. I used to have an ETX with goto and it would track without doing the computer alignment if you had the scope polar aligned and set to polar mode.

I was wondering if the mount will track without doing the computer alignment routine? I know the mount must be polar aligned to track -- I'm talking about the various alignments to orient the computer. I would like to be able to just undo the clutches and quickly move to the vicinity of an object then center in the EP with the hand controller and have the mount track the object at the sidreal rate.

I just did a quick read through of the manual, but it isn't really clear about this.

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Yes, you can. I did it during the Venus Transit in June. Did a rough daytime Polar alignment via my compass which has a declination offset with no other alignment procedures. I just lined up on the Sun, engaged Solar Tracking. Worked fine.

EDIT: I stand correctd. It IS Quick Align that I used. My apologies for any confusion.

#3 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

Yes. I use the mount like that often. You just need to turn it on and you're in business. I'm 95% sure that it will even track without the hand controller plugged in.

Steve.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yes. I use the mount like that often. You just need to turn it on and you're in business. I'm 95% sure that it will even track without the hand controller plugged in.

Steve.

I have an older CG-5 ASGT. Maybe the new ones are different but when it is first turned on, it does not track. I have to go into Tracking Menu and turn on the EQ-North Mode.

But that is easy to do and that's how I use the mount.

Jon

#5 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys. The manual is certainly not clear on this. I read through it a second time after posting this question last night. It describes the different tracking modes, but doesn't say that the mount will track without alignment. I'm really not a huge fan of goto and having to do alignments, but I do like tracking.

#6 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

I think what you want is Quick Align. Just rough polar align (point true north, dial in declination) set in location and time, bring up quick align, enter, and that's it. Actually worked pretty well for me a few nights ago when I had a crowd of people waiting to view and somebody released the RA lock by accident--no time to realign.

#7 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think what you want is Quick Align. Just rough polar align (point true north, dial in declination) set in location and time, bring up quick align, enter, and that's it. Actually worked pretty well for me a few nights ago when I had a crowd of people waiting to view and somebody released the RA lock by accident--no time to realign.

I saw that in manual and was wondering if maybe that's what I wanted.

#8 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

I even did a quick align when I first got mine and it tracked ok just didn't have very good gotos. So if you just want to point and then lock down quick align should do what you want.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics