Case Designs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just picked up a 1992 Questar. Wonderful device and I am absolutely loving it. I have already picked up and discovered tons of information about the scope I purchased based on information from this forum. I have one last piece of information I have yet to fully ascertain. I'm hoping somebody here can help.

The case I have is in excellent condition. However, there is some debate in the family as to whether it is made of leather or vinyl. The case, like the scope itself, is from 1992. It has combination locks. I was under the impression that the combination locks were only included on the deluxe leather version.

Are my assumptions here correct or could it be that I actually have a vinyl version with combination locks? Not a critical issue obviously but would love to solve the mystery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks! Steve S

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Steve,

You can call The Mother Ship and tell them about your purchase and they will put your name in the book. Ask Jim R. to check what was ordered with it. When you give them your serial number he should be able to answer. I have a 1994 Duplex and it came with a vinyl padded case with key locks.

Luck, Bill

#3 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Sent a note and some pictures (at Jim's request) to Jim at Questar. Jim got back to me immediately confirmed that my case is a leather case.

The real confirmation for me is the level of customer service at Questar. Truly unrivaled in today's business climate. I'm even more thrilled about my scope today now that I understand a little bit more about the company behind the scope.

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

The real confirmation for me is the level of customer service at Questar. Truly unrivaled in today's business climate. I'm even more thrilled about my scope today now that I understand a little bit more about the company behind the scope.

The essence of Questar, there is nothing like it :bow:

#5 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Steve,

Jim is a wonderful person and will help you with anything. His Father worked at Questar before he retired. Glad you joined the family.

Bill

#6 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Not to be tacky, but...smell it! Leather, even old leather will always smell like leather. Vinyl just does not.

#7 WWPierre

WWPierre

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not to be tacky, but...smell it! Leather, even old leather will always smell like leather. Vinyl just does not.

I can vouch for that. My 1973 case smells like leather.

#8 Gordon Reade

Gordon Reade

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

I own both cases and I must say that I really prefer the latching mechanism on the vinyl case over the combination lock of the leather case. I don’t want to fumble with a combination lock in the dark and when I don’t spin dials it seems that the case can easily be opened by accident. The latches on the vinyl are easy to use day or night and seem much safer to me.

#9 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I second your observation. Also, for those who wish to have a rugged field case for their Questar, try Harbor Freight! They stock lots of various sized hard cases in either black or aluminum finish. Some even come filled with cubed foam ready to make into your own custom case. Storeables also has some similar and sometimes better quality cases but stock is spotty.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics