• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

my new mount (a celestron cg5 goto) arrived yesterday from opt and i put it together last night. a real solid built mount with 2" legs. everything seems to be working ok. too cloudy the test it out on the sky. i think im going to be real happy with it. other people on this forum seem to be. a little noisy but i can handle that if it works out ok. i need to study a little more about the funtions but i have a general knowledge of procedure from my nexstar se. thanks, don

Attached Files

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Congrats! I like my ASGT mount as well, and it handles my EON 120 nicely. Once you get past the initial setup routine, it's pretty intuitive to use the various functions on the hand control, especially since you have a NexStar SE. I used to have a NexStar 11GPS, so this was an easy transition.

#3 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lomita, CA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Congrats! What scope are going to use on it?

#4 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Congrats! I've only had mine out once so far, but it functioned perfectly. I sighted polaris thru the hole where the polar scope goes, did a two star align and then added two more calibration stars. Each target all night long was near the center of a 100x EP in my EON 120

It's finally clear enough tonight to install the new polar finder that arrived a few days ago. It's not really necessary for visual use, but it is inexpensive enough that I wanted to see how accurate I could make the mount.

Enjoy your new CG-5!

#5 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

thanks guys. i think ive got the 2 star alignment down but a little shady on how to add the calibration stars. once you do the 2 star alignment im guessing this is what the instructions is telling me. 1, it will read " alignment successful" 2, if you wont to go from there without adding stars you just go to the deep sky button and select objects. if you wont to add cal, star you press the back button. does the hc auto select the cal, stars or do you have to select from the list. not sure about the wording in the instruction manual. thanks, don

#6 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

The HC gives you choices for the calibration stars, which are all on the other side of the sky. Two usually work fine to give you much more precise go tos.

#7 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Congrats on the new mount! This is good to hear since I have a CG-5 scheduled for delivery tomorrow. :jump:

#8 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

im going to use a meade 8" sct that came off of a lx10 for now and thinking about purchasing a celestron 9.25 sct later on. from all that i hear, this mount will handle it fairly well. i think the 11" would be too much. the only thing that i wonder about, is there going to be enough aperture (1.25" over the 8") to justify the cost or what i can see over the 8". i might do some ap with a small scope like orions 114mm ap reflector. or a 80mm short tube. and maybe some video. don

#9 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

this may be a dumb question but ill ask it anyway. on the cg5 hc the top three buttons are align, enter and back. the instruction manual photo of the hc has undo in place of back and on my se mount it has undo. does undo and back serve as the same funtion if so, why did they change the word! this dont make a lot of sence to me. thanks, don

#10 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

The CG-5 manual shows the older V4 HC while you have the new Nexstar +. They changed several of the key labelings on the newer model. Yes, Back and Undo perform the same function. The newer HC will have new functionality added in the future. The good thing is that the firmware is much easier to update than on the V4, although it wasn't really hard to begin with.

#11 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

well, i had a change to test my cg5 out last night before the moon came up. just with a ruff polar alignment and the 2 star alignment, all the objects were almost centered. real happy with results. ill try the calibration stars next time im out. its a little noisy. i guess you can get use to it. don

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics