LX200 Autostar II Firmware Upgrade Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snapp32e

snapp32e

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi everyone, first post. I bought a used 8" LX200GPS this spring and have been using it all summer problem free. I noticed the firmware was out of date on it after checking with Meade's sight. I picked up a USB to serial converter, and a serial to RS232 converter to allow myself to update the firmware in it. I downloaded and installed ASU, fired everything up and ran the updater in ASU. It told me indeed there was an update for the scope and I proceeded to let it do it's thing. It downloaded the new software 100% no issues, than began installing it. After about 8% of it was installed it came back to me with a "failed" install and to cycle the power and try a different connection to the scope. The handbox was reading "Updating...do not turn off power" but the ASU had stopped installing the update and was giving me the cycle power message. So I did. Mistake. When the power came back on all the handbox would read is "LX200 GPS © 2001 Meade". No matter how many times I've cycled the power that's all it comes to, will not advance to the autoalign screen. Understandable as ASU had wiped the firmware and was only part way through installing the new 4.2g version. Now when I attempt to do anything with ASU it cannot find the scope or the handbox. Both read Model and Ver. Unknown. Obviously I'm looking at a wiped firmware and wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this. I was updating from ver. 2.0i and using the RS port right next to the HBX port. Haven't called Meade yet on this as it happen Friday night of course and won't be able to until Monday.

#2 Rayh

Rayh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ, USA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hopefully someone with a better memory than me comes up with the answer: I have the procedure written in my LX200 manual but that is not with me.
Anyway, get your computer ready to do the download, running ASU. Power up the handbox and immediately type "999" in the handbox. It should say something like "begin download". I may have forgotten a step or two like another key you need to press but give that a try. Good luck.
Ray

#3 snapp32e

snapp32e

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

Oh your a God!!! It worked. Thank you my friend.

#4 Rayh

Rayh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Great!!!!
Ray

#5 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Welcome to CN snapp32e. Looks like your problem is solved. That's what CN is all about. Let us know how the scope is performing with the update, if you get a chance.

#6 Rayh

Rayh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Did the download complete successfully?
Meade firmware installs seem to take forever.
Ray

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics