12 replies to this topic

#1 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a lightweight GEM that can hold my sv105 for visual use (call it 15 pounds) and can also be used for no longer than 200mm AP with my camera (without a scope)

I want something a can easily take on a plane (as light/compact as possible)

Would two mounts- alt/az for the scope and a camera tracking thing like nano, polarie star tracker, toast, etc be a better choice?

Any recommendations?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think the Astrotrac can carry your SV105. You'd want the TH3010 head for it.

http://www.astrotrac...ult.aspx?p=head

Load capacity 22lb.

#3 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Perfect! Thank you!!!!

#4 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi Tori

I think you have to look for something more stable than the Nano or the Polarie, the weight and the lever are too big for these two.

I would recommend looking closer at the Astrotrac or the Toast but have no hands on experience with the two units. I wonder if the weight and lever will not be too much. Maybe you would be better off looking at a Vixen GP or EQ-5 class mount for convenient visual use, but of course airline transport is more difficult with these GEM's.

best regards
Chris

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

If you're looking at a Vixen GP class then I'd go with the Sphinx. Or Tak EM-11.

the SV105 is probably too much for the Tak Teegul, although I have seen pictures of a Mewlon 180 on the Space Boy (the predecessor to the Teegul).

#6 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi Tori
I've been looking at this one

http://ioptron.com/i...Q_Manual_V1.pdf

Though it's only rated for 11 pounds of payload...

#7 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hmmm....

I would stay away from the Sphynx when it comes to guided AP. Too many reports of problems with DEC axis guiding and one of my friends had the Starbook replaced twice!
Rather have the Vixen GP with dual axis control, the counter weight shaft slides in for transport.
The Tak EM-11 is very nice if money is no issue.

I have not seen the SmartEQ live but it looks a bit weak and 11 pounds would already be on the limit for your scope...

best regards
Chris

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Chris, I'm pretty sure the GP doesn't have a sliding counterweight (I had one). It's screw-in. The iEQ3000 and the Sphinx do have the sliding C/W. I believe the EM200 does as well.

the Sphinx does have that declination jump issue, but if a camera lens is going to be used it might not matter..

#9 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

If we're talking 15 lb. payload, why not a Celestron CG-5 GT?

Of course, at 42 lbs, that's a full case for the airplane. Personally, I've found the intersection of luggage restrictions and mounts to be a hellish problem for mobile astronomy. It's like the only gear you can move is cameras and specialized accessories, and you need to rely on renting the heavy stuff on the other end.

I have heard a story about someone here in Tucson going on a trip to the Atacama desert, and what he brought was a Hyperstar3 for C11 and a camera. The C11 was rented on the far end for a week of photography.

But it isn't like I am going to go somewhere I can rent an AP 130 EDFGT, but the airline restrictions are really making it hard to take much of anything other than the telescope. Add to that the sticky fingers in the airports and this is a pretty lousy situation. I had considered going to Hawaii for the transit of Venus, but the fact I would be able to bring so little with me made the trip seem pretty ridiculous since strangely enough, there is no place to rent a mount from if you're climbing Mauna Kea.

-Rich

#10 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Thanks Orly than I must be mistaken, the EM-200 has a sliding counter weight shaft for sure.... I may have confused the feature with the Sphinx... ;)
Sorry for that.

Chris

#11 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Rich, that's why I think an AstroTrac is a good choice. Of all the "small" mounts it carries the most - 22lb vs 6-7lb for the Tak Teegul.

And it's fairly small. You can use a camera tripod - which you could buy at the far end (those China carbon tripods are getting better and better..)

#12 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

Just ordered the AstroTrac. I thought about trying to lug a cg5 but its just too heavy for airline travel (is the 42 lbs including one cw or is it 42 plus the cw? Doesn't matter either way, it's too much)... It was my with a sigh after looking at the cg5 specs that I posted here asking for help. It's a shame the cg5 is too heavy, rough polar alignment of celestron mounts are soooo easy.

Thanks all!

#13 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

:jump: post your first light images!! :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics