• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

So the DC power cord that came with my CG-5 didn't even make it a whole day. The fuse blew the second time I plugged it in to my Celestron power tank.

I went to Radio Shack this morning and got an 8ft coiled DC cord that comes with 4 different right angle tips, one of which fits the CG-5 (it's the 'M' Adaptaplug 5.5mmm/2.1mm). This plug fits much better than the cord that came with the mount and doesn't come out near as easy. You do have to be careful and make sure to attach the plug in the right polarity, you just line up the '+' sign on the plug with the word 'tip' on the cord which is center positive ploarity. Here's a link to cord and some pics if anyone is interested.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3889594

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Mike...

Good information. Thank You.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Mike,

I've been using those Radio Shack power cords on all 5 of my Celestron mounts for 5 years now. I had 3 defective power cords from Celestron (the first 3 I received) and have been using the RS cords ever since. I have not had any trouble with the RS power cords. Never had to split a power connector on the mount. Never had one fall out of the connector. Never had one short out.

Stan

#4 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Mike,

I've been using those Radio Shack power cords on all 5 of my Celestron mounts for 5 years now. I had 3 defective power cords from Celestron (the first 3 I received) and have been using the RS cords ever since. I have not had any trouble with the RS power cords. Never had to split a power connector on the mount. Never had one fall out of the connector. Never had one short out.

Stan

This is good to hear. It's amazing how well this plug fits the connector. I can run the cord from the connector down through the little notch in the accessory tray and to the power tank and it is very secure.

In fact, I may buy a couple of more of these as backup. Although, if you've never had one short out, then I'm not sure I need any backups. :grin:

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

After reading about all the issues with the stock power cord, the Radio Shack replacement was the first accessory I bought for my new CG-5 two weeks ago. I do like the 90 degree fitting as there's less chance of bumping it. I also use the on/off switch on the power cord instead of the one on the mount as per suggestions here as well.

#6 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

I also use the on/off switch on the power cord instead of the one on the mount as per suggestions here as well.

Is there a known problem with the on/off switch on the mount?

#7 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Power switch has a high failure rate. If it fails, save 20 bucks for a new power board and solder a jumper across the switch, super easy.

#8 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Good to know. I may start using the power switch on the DC cord then as Jim suggested.

#9 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Two of my CG-5s and my CGEM have only been turned on once...the power cord is my switch.

Stan

#10 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I went and flipped mine to the on position about an hour ago and I intend to leave it that way. I guess you get what you pay for. It seems to be a pretty good mount for the money, but it has it's share of gremlins. My last goto mount was an ETX-105EC from 2001. After surviving that mount, the CG-5 is heaven. :p

#11 skywolf856

skywolf856

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Ditto! My Radio Shack cord works great also.

#12 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

I had one and wrecked the lighter plug by closing the truck's liftgate on it. Went to a RS store to replace it and was told the model with the coiled cord and on-off switch was no longer available. Is true?

#13 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I just bought one 3 days ago and they had 6 more on the shelf. We had trouble finding it on display because someone had it under a clearance tag. I asked the mgr if they were discontinued I would buy a few more. He checked and said they were no t discontinued, but were listed so buy mistake. I hope he was right. I just checked the website and found it. Part # 270-052

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3889594

Stan

#14 trw

trw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for checking that out--I need to try a different store.

#15 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I had to go to two different stores to find it yesterday. The first store didn't have any, but the second store had about 6 of them.

#16 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just be VERY, VERY, VERY careful using these cords with the interchangeable ends. Some of them can only be put together in one way while others can go either way. Putting it together wrong once is all it will take to ruin you day since most of these mounts don't have reverse polarity protection.

#17 jchoy46

jchoy46

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Port Orange, FL

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

you can also get a small piece of speaker wire and strip it down to expose the wire. then snip off a few strands. now look into the jack that goes into the scope. place the strands inside the small pin hole. plug it into the scope to secure it deeper inside. this will remove most of the play from the connector. However I never use the on / off switch. Just my two cents.

#18 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Just be VERY, VERY, VERY careful using these cords with the interchangeable ends. Some of them can only be put together in one way while others can go either way. Putting it together wrong once is all it will take to ruin you day since most of these mounts don't have reverse polarity protection.

Yep, these particular plug tips can be connected in reverse polarity, so you do have to be very careful. As long as you understand this, it's very easy to get the correct polarity which is center positive.

The cord has the word "TIP" printed on one side. The plug tip has a '+' printed on one side and a '-' on the other side. You just line the '+' up with the word 'tip' when you plug the tip into the cord. In the first picture you can actually see part of the '+' sign right below the tip that plugs into the telescope base and above the prongs.

#19 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yep, these particular plug tips can be connected in reverse polarity, so you do have to be very careful. As long as you understand this, it's very easy to get the correct polarity which is center positive.

The cord has the word "TIP" printed on one side. The plug tip has a '+' printed on one side and a '-' on the other side. You just line the '+' up with the word 'tip' when you plug the tip into the cord. In the first picture you can actually see part of the '+' sign right below the tip that plugs into the telescope base and above the prongs.

I have a couple from RadioShack that don't even make it that obvious unfortunately. I test them with a multimeter before I ever connect them to anything.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics