Lx80 Multi-mount

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#176 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ohh, I missed that part, I kinda lost interest on around page 5 of this discussion. Came back in to see what has changed.

#177 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sooooooooo, who's going to open theirs up and have a look :question:
Be interesting to see if the worm wheel has changed design.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#178 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Does anyone on this forum have the lx80 autoguiding successfully? The module is on back order so how is one to test autoguiding before warranty expires?

#179 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

You test via pulse guide if ASCOM drivers are available for the mount, the specificss of how to set it up depend on the software you use to guide, but basically, in your guiding software you will find the option to choose guide via telescope or via ST4. Choose via telescope.

Some mounts guide better via pulse guiding while others guide better via ST4. That is a long winded and boring debate. The best way to find out for your specific mount it to try out both methods.

I hope this helps.

#180 Cameron McCarty

Cameron McCarty

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I will chime in that as far as the legs detaching goes, I had the leg fall off of our LX80 scope just the other day. Luckily I was by my scope and able to catch it and Meade was able to replace it for free.

#181 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I will chime in that as far as the legs detaching goes, I had the leg fall off of our LX80 scope just the other day. Luckily I was by my scope and able to catch it and Meade was able to replace it for free.

Cameron,

Did the top plate of the tripod break? I assume that's what you mean.

#182 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Very sad, how many is that now? 4? 5?

Interesting that no one has had an OTA die in the failure...

#183 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

How do we really know if that has never happened? Not everyone posts online.

#184 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Does anyone on this forum have the lx80 autoguiding successfully? The module is on back order so how is one to test autoguiding before warranty expires?

I just checked again and the Autoguider Post Module is still back ordered on Meade's site.

#185 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I stand corrected, based on forum reported LX80 tripod failures, no one has "lost" an OTA... yet...

#186 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Are those legs breaking as a result of an owner wrongly tightening the upper leg bolts to pinch and to thus crack the ears of the base casing?
The ear bolts are adjusted properly on my mount, and I doubt the casting would fail EXCEPT by over-stressing caused by over-tightened leg attach points.

#187 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

There's no indication anybody has overtightened anything. One poster did NUDGE his tripod, but having a casting on a tripod head break for that reason is pretty strange and something _I've_ never heard of before the coming of the 80. Were I you, I'd keep a close eye on it. ;)

#188 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Are those legs breaking as a result of an owner wrongly tightening the upper leg bolts to pinch and to thus crack the ears of the base casing?
The ear bolts are adjusted properly on my mount, and I doubt the casting would fail EXCEPT by over-stressing caused by over-tightened leg attach points.

Mine broke because I tried to move the mount in azimuth on grass. The others that I've seen reason for were because of tightening the spreader. I think that either should be able to be done without failure. I wont be moving the replacement tripod without picking it up in the future.

Meade has been great about replacing failed tripods but what's going to happen after the warranty runs out.

#189 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

As this new tripod is less than a week old I'll pay attention to the fellows suggestions and thanks.

It would be good to safety the top of each leg, perhaps with a loop of cable secured to the underside of the mount head. This so if the casting should fail, the cable would captured the released leg and the scope would not tumble.

I've used thin cables to safety the secondary's to spiders in the event the secondary lets go. Happened once years ago and I still have the chip dead center on the primary to remind me of that day!

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics