• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

After some thought I've decided that my next scope will be a 4" refractor, likely a AT106. This will be a grab and go scope, and I'll be wanting a GOTO mount, preferably an Alt-Az mount.

What would you recommend?

#2 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Welcoe to the CN forums!

The answer depends a lot on your budget. There are a lot of alt-az go-to mounts out there. A couple of years ago I bought a new Celestron SLT. It came with a 5.1-in f/5 newtonian OTA. The tripod was rather flimsy and the scope wouldn't go to the zenith due to the tube hitting the mount. I had to do a little ATMing but this little mount will handle my 91mm f/6.7 triplet without too much groaning.

Terry

Attached Files

#3 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm thinking about something like a Celestron SE mount, but I'm worried about the tube hitting the mount near zenith. I'm thinking the SE mount would have the added advantage in the event I want to get a SE SCT later on since I can use the same mount for both scopes easily.

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Those mounts have a slew limit setting where you can program the hand controller to deny a slew above a certain degree limit, preventing any collisions with the base.

#5 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the help!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics