Changing angle of pier

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hi, I have a steel pier built by Meade for their 16" SCT with a 41 degree bend in it for Long Island, N.Y. I am planning on moving to Mew Mexico which is at 34 Degrees and 23'. Does anyone know ( I guess a machine shop ) who makes a spacer of just over 6 degrees to get the scope set up correctly? Or is there something easy to do that I am missing. Meade wanted me to order a new pier, but the price is, shall we say, a bit high. Thanks!!!

Steve

#2 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

Could always pour your new pier with the top at about a 5*angle then use the nuts to fine tune the 6th or so degree.
In my shop I'd cut the weld at the bend leaving a small section uncut so the last bit of weld acts as my hinge, spread it to 34* then shape a piece of steel to fit the space then weld it back up.
m2

#3 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Good idea about the hinge! I think a local welding shop would probably do a job like this for pretty small $$$.

JimC

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

In my shop I'd cut the weld at the bend leaving a small section uncut so the last bit of weld acts as my hinge, spread it to 34* then shape a piece of steel to fit the space then weld it back up.
m2

Yes, it's just steel pipe after all. Maybe they can even do a nice and neat plasma cut. You will still have to true it at the new site, but nothing as rad as 5 deg.

#5 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Having a plasma cutter I'd still prefer my Sawzall or a gas hack to do the cut, the consumables for my plasma cutter are not as cheap as a blade and even cheaper with the gas hack as I would not even come close to wearing out a blade on that cut.
m2

#6 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

If you laid out the hinge the other way, you could remove a wedge, and pinch it shut, and not have to add in a piece with 2 welds. For this job, using a cutting disk on a 4-5" grinder would do the trick cleanly.

#7 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

The one cheap route to go would be getting some non shrink grout and build up the top of the concrete pier on the back side of the 41* pier to get it to lean the 6+/- degrees.
Cost is under 20 bucks for a pail of the non shrink grout at home Depot.
If the right angle is not acheived the first time, there is plenty of material in the pail to take a second stab.
To get it right the first time around I'd fab a plate the same size as the 41* pier then fashion spacers to get the 6+/- degree then check with one of them digital levels to get it as close as possible.
The bolts in the concrete pier would have to be set so that when the 41* pier is set, the grout angle is right with the angle of the grout spacer.
For twenty bucks I'd try this before cutting my steel pier.
An even cheaper route would be to use nuts below the 41* pier to change the angle, raising one side while the other side was held down but not so tight the plate were to bend or cause undue stress on the anchor bolts.
The poster does not say how many bolt holes are in the 41* pier so this might need to be changed or re-drilled so they can be where you'd need them to get the pier to move the way you'd want it.
m2

#8 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll go with a pro to cut and bend to the 34 degree angle and weld it back.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics