Discovery telescopes-nervous

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I bought two mirrors from discovery last year. Both were in stock though. They shipped very fast and I'm happy with the quality. Even so, after reading this it would make me leery of ordering again. They really need to take some steps to improve their image. Their products seem to be good quality and reasonably priced while being made in the USA to boot so the bad vibes are really a shame.

#27 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I bought my 12.5" f/6 from Discovery a few years back and had no trouble at all. Great mirror. It was in stock and got sent right out. But I have been reading horror stories about the delays in getting their telescopes for as long as I have been reading the forums section on CloudyNights.

That said, everyone seems to really like their scope when they finally get it.

Al

#28 whirlpoolm51

whirlpoolm51

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: pittsburgh,pa

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Yes i second DOB STUFF!!! dennis will build you a scope that you will love and cherish for many years to come!! and he is an amazing person that talks you through every step

I got my 16" custom built from him and i still talk to him to this day

I am not trying to bash on anyone or anything but dennis over at dob stuff definetly has the edge over discovery scopes and to be honest they need to step it up or there going to get left in the dust by all the other manufacturers

They are big, bulky and heavy!! not to mention the sono tube is a very very weak structure that doesnt handle moisture well at all

Dennis on the other hand will build you a very light weight , rigid and just plain amazing scope!! and the best part is.....you get to pick the optics!!! or dennis will supply them for you at very very reasonable prices

Okay well thats my 2 ceents hahahahah didnt mean to get off topic from what the OP wanted but i just felt like he should know there are way better options out there that he can feel 100 percent safer goign with

#29 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded. Evidently, they have a 15" F/5 mirror ready to go. I went ahead and dropped the financial hammer.Scope should be ready to ship in two weeks.After having a 6"Dob for 14 years (ironically with a Discovery mirror) the 15" should be a real game changer. :jump: Hope things go smoothly :praying:. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new scope! :jump:

Yes, you will get a shock with the first view thru your 15"! I went from an 8" dob to my 16", and the first night, all I did was "Ooooo, Ahaaaaa" with everything I looked at! :grin:

We'll be anxious to read your First Light report with your 15" scope!

#30 Scott Watson

Scott Watson

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

To be frank, Discovery sucks. You have far better options.

#31 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Since he's already purchased; let's be supportive of his decision & his new scope! :)

#32 HoundDog

HoundDog

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thanks to all of you who responded. Evidently, they have a 15" F/5 mirror ready to go. I went ahead and dropped the financial hammer.Scope should be ready to ship in two weeks.After having a 6"Dob for 14 years (ironically with a Discovery mirror) the 15" should be a real game changer. :jump: Hope things go smoothly :praying:. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new scope. I have an 8 inch Discovery dob and have really enjoyed the views it has given me. You have purchased a scope that I'm sure will keep your eyes very happy for many years to come. Please be sure to give us reports as to it's assembly once received and of course, a first light report.
Once again, congrats!

#33 Al Miller

Al Miller

Apollo

• Loc: South, Texas

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

To be frank, Discovery sucks. You have far better options.

Absolutely better options... and at far greater $$$.

AATT has decided to purchase a decent scope. Discovery optics aren't bad, in fact they are pretty good. If desired, a better structure can be built around them at a later time but, the existing one is pretty good as is. We're talking about a Dob here... for visual use. Optics costing hundreds or thousands more just ain't going to make that much of a difference IMHO.

AATT... enjoy the view with your 15" scope. I think you will.

#34 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I bought a used one and am very happy with it, excellent optics.
Used or thru a dealer would be my choice. Don t.

#35 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well-I was nervous about Discovery telescopes as I had seen the company’s atrocious BBB ratings and numerous threads bashing the company and their “lies” regarding delivery times. I found my experience to be completely pleasant and Bill Larsen to be congenial, responsive and never failed to pick up the phone or return my call within an hour of leaving a message. E-mail was also less than twenty-four hours in turn-around. Where does the truth “lie”? As in most cases the truth probably is found somewhere in the middle. Not to diminish the frustrations of those who had to wait almost a year for a scope-that is bad, but fortunately my experience has so far been a very good one.
My mirror was in stock and I went ahead and dropped the $ a little prematurely just so I could avoid a long-term wait situation. The scope was ready in less than three weeks after down payment. One thing-I knew it was going to be big, but wow! This thing is huge and heavy-wheelbarrow handles are going to be in the near future. The scope is manageable in three pieces and the lower mirror/tube is not a bad carry if you grasp the bottom of the tube and a side handle. The grasp -the -handles –at-the -waist and waddle technique is physically taxing and is horrendous for collimation.

This scope is already a keeper, which from my first light experience seems to have outstanding optics-star test looked textbook perfect and the scope has crisp, clear images that pop into focus with little slop-JMI focuser is nice. The day was clear as a bell and when I went out after collimating and waiting for thermal equilibrium it was a solid cloud deck in direct contrast to the weather channels’ hourly forecast. #%#@%$$#! Waited until midnight went out again and sat and waited and by 1 it cleared! Seeing was not ideal, but it was not horrible. Light pollution here is an orange zone –bad enough. Having never looked into anything over 8 inches and having a 6 being my scope for 14 years, the images were much much brighter and a lot of fun, but not jaw dropping in contrast to my experience. The Amazing Grace of aperture-was blind and now I see….Double cluster in a 32mm- the different colors of the stars were obvious-intermittent clouds made it impossible with my tree line to delve into that areas’ rich array of clusters and Andromeda. Crab nebula-no more faint green blob-it was bright and had hints of ropey structure in the center with the edges subtly suggesting faint green flames frozen in time .M81 and M82 –dust lane was obvious with direct vision and showed mottling. Both objects were almost as bright as Andromeda in my 6 inch. Castor split easily and cleanly at low power. All star images were pinpoint in the middle without great distortion at the periphery-no paracorr needed here for this F/5-whew! I did a side by side on the Orion nebula with my 6” and there was not a GIGANTIC difference between the 6 and 15, but there was a BIG difference. Trapezium was distinct and the back part of the nebula had varied texture and obvious 3D smoky structure to it. Whole nebula was like an outstretched astral hand cupping the trapezium-E and F stars were right there. It is obvious that this scope has a very good mirror –great contrast and clarity. Owl nebula was mottled and bright but indistinct.-no eyes this time around. Pleiades had definite nebulosity around the main stars with some structure evident. Jupiter had hints of salmon coloration-serious detail was apparent with several cloud belts continuously present and others popping in and out and a festoon or two in the equatorial bands. Seeing kept me to about 200X -which was a stretch. Moons were round rather than points. M35 and the Auriga clusters were very bright and had good color contrast between some of the stars and were simply hard to ignore with direct vision. Scanning the bowl of Ursa major I found random puffs of galaxies. Moon came up before dawn-detail was way more than I am used to and the entire surface had a topographic map/3D quality to it not unlike the texture of bread crust. Motions of the scope need some work. but are not bad. It is a smoother move than my six, which is going into, mothballs for a while. I did not think ahead and get some lubricant so sticktion was a larger problem below 45 degrees and at the zenith. Mount is pretty stable, but flexes a little bit when you pull and the sticktion digs in its’ heels. A couple of brackets will probably take care of that. The only disappointment of the night, beside dodging clouds and having to turn the scope to a clear patch before I was ready-no globs to bust. I see great potential in this scope and as far as I can tell, the mirror is outstanding. Overall clarity and contrast are comparable or better than my 6” (which has an excellent mirror, that when seeing permits, allows me to get to theoretical speed limit of that scope without any loss of resolution).
Discovery seems to make premium optics and a sturdy functional structure without all of the fuss. I have to say my anxiety about this purchase was ill founded and that I now have a lifetime scope that will perform, with a little tweaking, to a very high standard.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Very pleased to hear this has turned out so well for ya!
:waytogo:

...no globs to bust. I see great potential in this scope

Wait 'til you get an eyeful of M13 or 15 or 22... you will gasp, and your jaw will bounce off the pavement! :jawdrop:

:jump: Wish i could be there to watch it happen...

Major congrats!
:grin:

#37 Al Miller

Al Miller

Apollo

• Loc: South, Texas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Congrats on the scope. I had a feeling you would like it. As the other poster said, just wait until you see those globs with it. You will be pleasingly amazed. Congrats again and have a great time observing!

#38 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

"They (OPT) seem(s) to have a pretty good channel of communication with Discovery"

"On top of that they (Discovery) are notoriously difficult to contact once they have your money. I did a test one time when trying to contact them regarding a shipping date. After attempting to call them using my regular phone with no success, I called them from a different phone to ask about ordering a scope. I got right through. "

So it seems that for whatever reason, OPT has the power and ability to communicate with Discovery that is 'far beyound those of ordinary mortals'.

This seems pretty fishy all around.

#39 Scott Watson

Scott Watson

Viking 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Some folks have time to waste dealing with 2nd rate businesses. Others, not so much.

#40 Labguy

Labguy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

In the late 1990's a friend of mine got a very nice 8". f/6 Discovery scope. I don't know what happened since then, but I bought a Discovery 8". f/6 mirror just about 2 years ago and it was the most pitiful piece of junk I have ever bought. I sold it for 1/2 price right away.

#41 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

i still recommend putting little weight on delivery times.

Obsession most often makes their estimated delivery times, and often beats them. Twice, Obsession bettered their estimated delivery time--by 30 days.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics