• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tenafterten

tenafterten

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

I tried a GoTo GEM a while back and really didn't like it so I took it back - couldn't stand having to slew when I know exactly where to push to. Nor did I like having to unlock the clutches to do the pushing. I have a non-goto GEM with tracking but the tracking is only turned on for planets and the moon, so not very often. I have a light grab&go alt-az mount and I love it but it's not very conveinent for planets or the moon. Basically, I'm a push-to guy. I really like the idea of having DSC's on a good push-to alt-az mount, but are there any good ones with tracking? I looked at the DM-6, but I can't imagine trying to follow Jupiter in a 50 degree eyepiece at 220x.
Serenity prayer aside, any suggestions?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

http://www.halfhitch...on-controls.htm

#3 vmstar

vmstar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

http://www.apm-teles...Q6GT-Mount.html

this one could do the job too, but when?

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

I have no problems at all following Jupiter in my orthos at 220X+ with my DM6. Drift time is almost a full minute and the DM6 is smooth as silk.

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

I tried a GoTo GEM a while back and really didn't like it so I took it back - couldn't stand having to slew when I know exactly where to push to. Nor did I like having to unlock the clutches to do the pushing.

I see a Losmandy mount in your future ...

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

DSV-3 looks promising.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=794814

#7 Hermie

Hermie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cloudy HKG

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I settled on the iOptron MT, and am happy with it overall. I would jump at a lighter weight mount with tracking only though. Clock drive?

Hermie

#8 tenafterten

tenafterten

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks to all. I've fired off a few emails to the various manufactures.
I have thought about the non-Gemini Losmandy GM-8 for a while now, as it has everything I want in a manual mount. I hear the Gemini system is not the most user friendly system, but I likely would not get that option anyway. You can put DSC's on a GM-8 and still have smooth push-to with tracking?
Alt-az mounts are just so darned attractive when you look at the weight savings. The Nova hitch looks great but would have to be bought in stages at a price like that - not much of a problem spread over a couple of years.
It doesn't look like the DS-3 has tracking capability - still waiting on an answer for that question.

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

T-Rex with Sky Commander: slow motion controls work well for high power and the S.C. is quick to set up - no need to enter time or date (unless you want it to find planets), just align on two stars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics