my unistar deluxe has arrived

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

i ordered a unistar deluxe with the heavy duty tripod. it arrived today and all i can say i wow - what a nice setup. i will mount my new ES 127ED on it. Tonight is the first night of clear skys since i got the scope (and mount) so this will also be first light for the new scope. now i have to decide whether to view first light or watch the debate. ha ha, not much of a decision.

i love the simplicity of an alt az mount - especially one that is buttery smooth and easy to balance. this is a mount you keep the rest of your life. i appreciate the fast shipping from UA (Larry). i actually got the mount a day earlier than expected. Plus the fed-ex boxes arrive in pristine shape (compared to the banged up boxes from UPS shipments).

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

:rules: rules say you must have pics! ;)

#3 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

will do in a day or so.
just got in from first light; the unistar worked very well. smooth. i do need to extend the tripod legs a bit. i was on my knees a lot when pointing near zenith. nice views though.
gw

#4 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Congratulations. I look forward to some pictures of everything set up. :D

Linda B.

#5 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

old fogey

• Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

ME too!!! :poke: :poke: :poke:

I'm thinking about a "Unistar" for my "ES" AR-102, so I'm itching to find out out what "hands on" is like.....................

#6 m1618

m1618

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange County - CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

i was looking into the unistar deluxe as well. Wondering... would I be able to nudge/guide it without much play to track a planet or moon? I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to not do the fork mount/etch-n-sketch type movement using the dials of alt/az. Is it truly silky smooth?

#7 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

yea, pretty smooth. my highest power was about 160 magnification. kind of wish i would have bought the handle. currently just grab the whole scope and move / track with it. i beleive the handle may make it easier to nudge / track. you can adjust the tension on teh movement. i took some pictures this afternoon. plan to post a few but i have seen a few other recent posts with pictures of the mount so my pics will probably not show anything that has not already been posted.
gw

#8 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

ok, here a a few pics:

'Ol yeller
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Looks great! I hope you enjoy many hours with your setup. Is there any backlash? How is the movement under higher powers? How is the balance maintained when you switch to a heavier eyepiece?

#10 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

the instructions say to use your "average" weight eyepiece then adjust the tension to keep things steady while you change eyepieces. however, if you make a BIG change such as putting in one of those monster eyepieces or 2 inch barlow, etc. then you will probably need to slide the scope a bit to re-balance. that is actually fairly easy to do, just loosen the knows on the rings a bit or just leave them a bit loose and you can move the tube forward or backward.

i didn't notice backlash. no problem tracking my first night out but as stated above my highest power EP is only 160 so not a big challenge. it is a nice piece of equipment and i will happily use this for many years (along with my atlas eq mount).

#11 m1618

m1618

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange County - CA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Beautiful setup!
Curious... how does it swivel? Which part rotates? I'm guessing some flange plate lube? I wish someone had one at a star party to test out. Larry should post a video on youtube.

#12 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

Nice pics! I have the Unistar Light Deluxe on a Gitzo cf tripod and it will carry a 130 f6.3, so you should be very happy with your setup.

#13 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

kind of wish i would have bought the handle. currently just grab the whole scope and move / track with it. i beleive the handle may make it easier to nudge / track.

Congrats! I have the unistar and unistar light and am happy with them.

About the handle: You might find the handle helpful, but my own experience with the handle is that 1) it's pretty short and 2) it can introduce a bit of wobble at the attachment point.

Overall, I find the moving the tube of longer OTAs more satisfactory. It provides a larger "vernier" scale and (for me) that translates to smoother movements.

#14 maltydog

maltydog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Beautiful setup!
... Larry should post a video on youtube.

good idea. if i get bored and clouded out this weekend, i may make a short video of the movements and post up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics