Photo

Adapter to connect Denkmeier to Baader diagonal???

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Has anyone seen a solution that would allow a Denkmeier or Earthwin Bino to a Baader prism diagonal?

I really want to keep my back focus as short as possible, and this is the thing I love about the Baader Maxbrights, but I find myself wanting to be able to use a 24mm Pan type eyepeice in my binos.

The Mark V is of course the obvious but expensive choice, but if there is a way to connect the Denkmeier or the Earthwin body to the Baader Prism, I may go in that direction.

So, if anyone has knowledge of an adapter or mating rings or something, please let me know.

Thanks!

#2 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi Ed,

I have a custom adapter designed and built by Starlight Instruments to connect
Denk binoviewer to T2 system. It is on left.

Posted Image

They could have reduce two more millimeters...

I think Precise Parts can design/build what you are looking for.

Here is a start. I think they can build an adapter up to your specification.
http://www.precisepa...in/adapter.html

Tammy

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hi, Tammy. Thanks for the response.

If you would not mind my asking, can you tell me how much Starlight charged? I don't mind the little eaxtra length.

Also, is that a Baader T2 diagonal in the picture? How does the binoviewer rotate? Is there some kind of lock screw?

Again, I appreciate your help.

Regards.

#4 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi Ed,

It is $174 for adapter itself, $50 for black oxide coating. It is expensive adapter. The diagonal is Baader T2 Prism Star Diagonal in the picture.

Here is more closeup photos. The custom adapter fits to Baader Quick Changer System. So you can rotate it as you wish.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Tammy

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Ah, Ok, I see.

So there is another component...The collar on the T2 to attach it to the adapter.

Yes, this gets expensive fast.

I went to the web site you sent where they build custom adapters, but I was unsure that I understood the configuration. It had the baader 1.25" diagonal on one side, but the other side (eyepiece) only have "Denkmeier Power Sitch".

Do you know if the Denk Power Switch on the telescope side uses the same threads as the bino face itself? For example if the Denk Power Switch has $89, so that seems reasonable.

I may bite the bullet and buy some Mark Vs though. But it is a big bullet for sure.... LOL.

Again, I thank you for your response.

#6 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Powerswitch uses the same threads as the Denk itself. You can remove the Powerswitch and connect the Denk nosepiece directly to the Denk, hence = same threads.

I had checked before and Precise Parts does make that part Eddgie, talk to the owner and I'm sure he can confirm this for you. If you do not want to use the Quick Changer then you would simply get an adapter that connects the Denk to male T threads of the T2 prism diagonal. You do not need the dovetail and Quick Changer that the MkV uses. The Denk can be screwed directly to the T2 diagonal with the right adapter - Denk to male T thread. So the adapter you want would have female T-threads on the diagonal side.

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Perfect info. And yes, I would prefer to connect the bino directly to the T2 threads.

Thanks a million!

#8 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Great. You probably want the adapter to be at least 1/2" long so you don't have problems with clearance.

#9 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi Ed,

Here is photo of individual parts that I have.

Posted Image

I think that Precise Parts makes Dovetail-male thread -> T2 female thread adapter using online tool. However, I wouldn't recommend it.

I think it is better ask Precise Parts to build something that I asked Starlight Instruments, Denk Dovetail male -> pseudo Baader Quick Changer Ring (#T2-07) and get Baader Quick Changer (#T2-06). I don't know Precise Parts gets you cheaper price or not, though :)

The #T2-06 T2 female thread attaches to T2 Prism Diagonal male thread.
The custom part, pseudo Baader Quick Changer Ring is screwed into bottom of Denkmeier binoviewer using Dovetail thread.

Tammy

#10 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Tammy what are your thoughts regarding your recommendation to forego attaching the Denkmeier directly to the T2 prism diagonal? Is that dovetail and Quick Change ring strictly necessary? :question:

Thinking about it, I guess you would need some of the Baader spacer rings to make sure the diagonal comes out in the correct orientation... ah OK I see. Yes the Quick Changer is a better solution, there are times when the Binos need to be rotated in the diagonal... OK I just answered my own question!

I agree with Tammy then Ed. A direct connection is not optimal. Beeter to go with a dovetail and Quick Changer solution.

#11 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi Johnny,

There are a few reasons that I can think of, going with Quick Changer way.

1. You can attach/detach binoviewer easily.
2. You can rotate binoviewer easily.

However, you would add about 15mm using Quick Changer. If you need minimum lightpath, I guess it isn't the solution but reasons #1, #2 outweight the lightpath requirement at least to me as long as it comes to focus to infinity.

OK why not both adapters :)

Tammy

#12 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I agree Tammy. I don't really care about the "Quick Change" so much but it would be frustrating not to be able to rotate the binos in the diagonal. It would probably still work, but not really optimal. If you only view alt/az then it might not be a problem though.

#13 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi Ed,

I decided to try Precise Parts T-thread<->Denk binoviewer adapter. I got confirmation email from Precise Parts, will be shipped on Oct 17th.

I'll let you know how well it fits after I try it.

Tammy

#14 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Wow.. You must be an easy sell.. LOL.

I would very much appreciate a picture and feedback when you get it.

I really would like the Mark Vs because of their operation with the Baader diagonal, but I am really struggling with the price. The Denk IIs are looking good to me, though even the Denk IIs seem pricey.

Seeing the adapter and hearing feedback on how it works would sure help.

Again, thanks for the news.

Regards.

#15 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ed, Why not look for a used pair of TV Bino's? They have the T2 Ring (female) and can be mated to the Baader Diagonal directly (no other adapters needed)as seen here!

The larger Prisms allow for longer F/L EP's such as the 24mm Pans as well.

Mike

#16 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Mike that is a terrific suggestion, the TV binos are top notch. I did not know they had a T-thread! It also looks like it has a retaining collar like the Maxbright so you can rotate the binos in the diagonal. Very cool.

#17 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Are you sure that the Televues have the same clear aperture as the Denks and the Maxbrights? I was under the impression that the Televue's only had 25mm openings.

#18 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Ah... Just looked it up. The Televue is listed as 27mm apertures. Will indeed consider these. Buy the time I buy the adapters for the Denks, I think the price would be similar, but I like the direct mating as in the Maxbright and Mark V.

Thank you very much John and Mike!

#19 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi Ed,

I decided to try Precise Parts T-thread<->Denk binoviewer adapter. I got confirmation email from Precise Parts, will be shipped on Oct 17th.

I'll let you know how well it fits after I try it.

Tammy

Great Tammy please keep us posted.

#20 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ah... Just looked it up. The Televue is listed as 27mm apertures. Will indeed consider these.

With the direct connection to the T2 prism diagonal this would really be the "less backfocus" king!

#21 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Well, there is the added benefit of using the Baader GPCs as well!

In this configuration, it would likely be that I could just use the Baader GPC inserted into the diagonal the same way that it is used with the Maxbright!

This means that I could buy just the Televue bino body for $875 new, or there is one listed now on CN for sale that includes the Televue refractor adapter for $800.

But I prefer the Baader GPCs, and I don't see why they would not work.

What a great idea. Less than the Denks and with about the same aperture, but with the shortest possible light path.

Thanks again!

#22 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

It should work the same as the Maxbrights. Man, sometimes there are some GREAT deals on TV Binovues, I've seen them go for $500 and less. I'm tempted myself.

#23 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

I am looking at the ads for the Televue.

Am I missing something, or does the Televue not use individual diopter type focusing? The manual on the TV web site is perhaps old, and maybe the later versions have diopter focusing, but the manual says that matching focus is accomplished by sliding the eyepeices in and out.

I really prefer the ability to focus the eyepeices individually.

#24 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Aha! There's the rub. I think you are right Eddgie and I would definitely not want a bino without individual diopter adjustment. I think the Denk II definitely has the edge here, I LOVE their diopters. I always felt like I could dial it in to the nth degree. Mark V, meh, requires some degree of iteration back and forth because you have to loosen the collar that holds the eyepieces to adjust the diopter, but then the focus changes again slightly when you actually tighten the collar back. Once you are set you're okay, but the eye does funny things when you view for awhile and its nice to be able to adjust them "on the fly". The Denk II is very simple and robust and the diopters simply thread in and out providing real time fine focus with beautiful precision. You don't have to loosen the eyepieces and tighten them back again like the MkV. So the Denk II are MUCH better in this regard especially when sharing views.

#25 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

You don't have to loosen the eyepieces and tighten them back again like the MkV.

I was under the impression that the Mark V has microfocusing for each eyepeice.

I think the previous Ziess version did not.

I am still powerfully attracted to the Mark Vs except for the price. I really like the Baader system and the fact that the light path is kept very short.

But the cost is high enough that I would be willing to live with a Denk II and an adapter if I can find one that is very low profile.

I also considered a Denk II with a 1.25" nose and just using a Clicklock/T2 on top of the Baader prism. This may not be all that much longer light path than some adapters may require. I am pretty sure that Denk has a 1.25" nose available. Again, would not be as short as the Mark V, but at least I would be able to exploit the very short light path of the Baader T2 Prism.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics