Photo

Adapter to connect Denkmeier to Baader diagonal???

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

You don't have to loosen the eyepieces and tighten them back again like the MkV.

I was under the impression that the Mark V has microfocusing for each eyepeice.

I think the previous Ziess version did not.

I am still powerfully attracted to the Mark Vs except for the price. I really like the Baader system and the fact that the light path is kept very short.

But the cost is high enough that I would be willing to live with a Denk II and an adapter if I can find one that is very low profile.

I also considered a Denk II with a 1.25" nose and just using a Clicklock/T2 on top of the Baader prism. This may not be all that much longer light path than some adapters may require. I am pretty sure that Denk has a 1.25" nose available. Again, would not be as short as the Mark V, but at least I would be able to exploit the very short light path of the Baader T2 Prism.

The Baader Mark V do, indeed, have microfocusers on each eyepiece. What Johnny mentioned has to do with the system Baader uses which requires that the eyepieces be released from the Clicklock (1/4 turn, at most) and then the microfocusers lift the eyepieces away from the clicklock. This is not easy to explain, but I love the system now that I'm used to it. Having come from the Denk II, which is slightly more intuitive to focus, it was confusing at first...now it's second nature. I find the view with the Mark V significantly better. Identical color and light throughput through each eye with the Mark V was noticed immediately. It's a stunning view. As a matter of fact, for the past 2 hours I've been watching migrating birds feed at our bird feeders using my wife's 80mm Apo and the Mark Vs. The 1.25 GPC in the front of the 2" nosepiece focuses on the feeders 12 feet away and I can immediately focus to infinity with the same exact setup. I really love it. I'm not making this any easier for you, am I, Ed. :grin:

#27 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for explaining. I think I understand what you are saying.

My preference would be for the Mark V. My feeling is that it is evolutionally perfected technology and there is no meaningful improvement to be found past this point in a 1.25" ocular binoviewer.

I really like the Baader system.

But... It is a lot of money. There is no way to suger-coat that. The $800 price differential to the Denk II makes me willing to accept an adapter based solution to mate it with the Baader diagonal.

I also believe that Denkmeier used to make a 1.25" nose for their BVs, and I would consider using the Denk 1.25" nose on the front of the Bino and putting a 1.25" click-lock on the Baader diagonal. This would be perhaps 10mm to 12mm longer than the adapter route, but my calcualtions suggest a total back focus in this configuration of close to 200mm.

I really want to keep the total light path to 180mm or less, and this may be difficult with the Denks. I do believe that the Mark V/T2 is unbeatable in terms of light path length in a 27mm aperture BV.

#28 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

As Dave says, the Mk V does have microfocusers for each eyepiece but you cannot adjust them without loosening the eyepieces and the focus does change when you tighten them back up, so it is indeed an iterative process. The MkV diopters also require both hands to adjust. [EDIT: sorry that's not true actually, it can be done with one hand]. Once they are set for your eyes you should be okay but you cannot adjust them as you view. The Denks otoh you can adjust them while you are viewing without loosening the eyepieces or as I put it earlier "on the fly" and "in real time".

#29 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

I also believe that Denkmeier used to make a 1.25" nose for their BVs, and I would consider using the Denk 1.25" nose on the front of the Bino and putting a 1.25" click-lock on the Baader diagonal.

Left is 1.25" nosepiece, right is 2" nosepiece for Denk binoviewer.
Posted Image

Tammy

#30 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Denk used to include the 1.25" nosepiece as well as the 2", I'm sure you could find one with a "wanted" ad, there must be hundreds of unused ones floating around out there.

#31 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I do have the Maxbrights and love them, but really want to use 24mm ES 68s to binoview with.

I owned a Denk (Standard) supersystem, and was loosing aperture with itin my C14.

I replaced it with a Baader Maxbright and this configuration sold me on the importance of keeping the light path short in an SCT. With Maxbright/T2, the system is working at 100% aperture.

The Denk Supersystem was loosing about 2 to 3 inches of aperture with the low power arm in place, so that also taugth me that a power switch really doesn't work with an SCT unless one is OK with the aperture loss (I am not).

So, now I am back at the point where I want to use 24mm wide field eyepeics. Even 22mm Pans vignetted slightly in the Baader Maxbrights, thought the 20mm ES 68s work fine. Still, in the C14, this works out to almost 200x, which is a bit more than I can use for much of my viewing.

I know I can stay below 200mm with the Mark V, and possibly with the Denk II with a short adapter, and with 24mm eyepeices, get the magnifications down to 165x, which seems a bit more useful for general observing.

I do appreciate all of the advice though...

#32 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes sorry Ed I went back and read your original post and deleted my suggestion for the Maxbrights realizing you probably already had them.

#33 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Oh, no problem. It was an excellent suggestion.. I have highly recommended the Maxbrights to several individuals. I find them to be super-excellent. Just would like a bit less magnification.

#34 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

I hear you. I don't do a lot of low-power binoviewing but last night I had the 24mm Pans in my MkVs testing out some focusing positions. I recently installed an FT3545 focuser on my FS152 with a low profile adapter and sure enough I can reach focus at 1X with my 24mm Pans with about 1/2" to spare - but only because I am using the MkVs with their shorter overall lightpath. With the new focuser and the MkVs I can also reach focus at 2.6X with 1/2" to spare on the other end racking it almost all the way out. Absolutely perfect! This was impossible with the stock focuser which had a 2.75" drawtube as opposed to the Feathertouch 4.5" drawtube.

Back to the Denk IIs - I assume you were planning on using them without the Powerswitch? Because the Powerswitch not only adds length to the setup, it also requires the OCS, it does not work without it.

#35 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Wow.. You must be an easy sell.. LOL.

Hi Ed,

I received T2 female<->Denk Dovetail adapter.

Directly on top of Baader Prism Star Diagonal. Adapter length is 15mm:
Posted Image

Denk II binoviewer is removed, from Denk Dovetail connector side:
Posted Image

Just adapter from T2 thread side:
Posted Image

Connect Baader Quick Change System instead of directly screwing into thread of Baader Prism Star Diagonal:
Posted Image

I could ask Precise Parts a little shorter adapter to cut down light path. I think it could be 5-6mm shorter , perhaps. But it is harder to grip adapter if it is too short... I guess this is good compromise.

Tammy

#36 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sweet!

#37 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Very nice. Compact and a clean solution.

But I have decided to go with the Mark V. It was a difficult decision.

It was very good of you to post the pictures though. I think for a lot of people that want a big aperture bino, the Denk Standard with this adapter will be a good alternative to the Maxbright. You could use the Denk standard head, the adapter, and the standard Baader T2 prism and for a little more money than the Maxbright, have a 27mm aperture vs the 23 of the Maxbright.

Again, very nice adpater, and I am sure that the forum members will appreciate knowing that they have another option.

Baader T2 Prism/Denk Standard would be a great mid-priced system.

#38 jtaylor996

jtaylor996

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

What did that precise parts adapter cost?

#39 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

What did that precise parts adapter cost?

Are you asking price of DenkII binoviewer to T2 female thread adapter?

If so, it was $113.

Tammy

#40 jtaylor996

jtaylor996

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

That's the one. Thanks!

#41 jtaylor996

jtaylor996

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Also, there's no other part in there, correct?

#42 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

The custom Precise Parts' adapter connects Denkmeier binoviewer bottom to T2 thread of Baader T2 diagonal. You don't have much choice of angle.

So I would recommend to get Baader Quick Change system shown below.
You can attach/detach/rotate easily. You'd have to give up 15mm-ish light path with the setup, though.

Posted Image

Tammy

#43 AstroScience

AstroScience

Ranger 4

• Loc: Israel

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hello Ed, hi guys, i found the easiest way to connect Denks to Baader prism is to use baader T2 to 1.25" Clicklock adapter and 1.25" nosepiece attached either to binos them self, either to the PxS.
I did something some time ago and have shown what i did to get shortest possible combination with Denks, maybe you'll find it useful.
Here is the link.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics